Medical Marijuana - Any positive experience w Fibro Pain?

I've been using it to manage my pain and fatigue for a few years.
First off, the most convenient and healthy way to take it, in my opinion, is with a dry herb vaporizer. It lets you "smoke" it without combusting it, so no actual smoke; you get multiple sessions from the same small amount; and the material left behind still has thc you can unlock through heating and binding with fat: making edibles.
My personal experience with the effects on my symptoms is that it changes my relationship to pain. It doesn't make the pain go away, but it begins to feel like much more of a neutral sensation. But it's especially helpful with that sort of full-body fatigue I can get from pushing myself too hard, or sometimes just existing. It can often make that just melt away. I can get a lot more done with the help of cannabis.

relief for QUALITY OF LIFE. It may not work 100% for some, but it definitely “cuts the edge.” The stigma on it is ridiculous because of those who used it for all the wrong reasons!!! It ruined it for people like us that need it for survival. I didn’t go up in mg. at all in the 10 years. Yes, it help’s Fibromyalgia pain and my foc
I understand 100% the stigma, the reporting, the incorrect data and "facts". I was on Fentanyl patches for 7 years. Never an inappropriate problem with my prescriber or my pharmacy. I requested a decrease in dose. I then started to be treated as a drug seeker almost over night in the medical field. Was taking random drug tests and needed a rx for a rescue drug in case of overdose. Even though I was responsible in my use for 7 years. Nothing changed with me. It was regulation and protocol changes.

I know opioid medicine is typically not recommended for chronic pain. My doctors and I tried everything before we went to this step. It did allow me to be functional! I've not had any pain control now for over 6 years.

Not to mention, if you want to go on a road trip and need to drive through a state that mm is illegal (if you get pulled over). Also, taking a vacation in a state to visit relatives or whatever, and you can’t transport or purchase medical marijuana there. At this point you’re suffering in pain. How does a person enjoy their time away?!! At least with prescribed meds you can carry them.
I have made many road trips taking my MM with me. My dispensary gives me scent-proof bags (they really do work) for any flower I want to take along. I hide it very well in my car, and only if the police decided for some reason to do a complete search of my vehicle including taking it apart would they fine it. They aren't going to do that. And very few of them have a dog in their car in any case, you usually only find that at the border. Of course, I won't cross an international border with it, but within the US this really is not a problem.

My CBD oil I tried Full Spectrum from a reputable source that cost $85.00 for a small bottle. It didn’t last but a few weeks either.
This would indicate to me that you were taking way too much.
Not that I am saying MM works for you.....it's not for everyone. But it is great for me and for others.

Hi All, I am new on here, but have had Fibro for about 3 years now. I take a daily 200MG Celebrex to manage the pain, which would make my life unmanageable without it. This morning at an urgent care for something else I saw a sign for medical marijuana and I wondered if that might help with my fibro pain and perhaps allow an alternative to the pharmaceutical I now rely on. Has anyone on here had any experience with medical marijuana and their fibro pain?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your replies.
I have used Recreational Gummies, for years. I recently got my AZ Card and have more choices for pain relief. I will use a small amount during the day to ease the pain and get through the day. At night I use to stop the pain, relax and sleep. Every State is different.

I would very much like to try, it's a shame that I can't access it in the U.K. :(
I wish for you that it were available there, Badger. Sometimes I wonder how long it will take for all of the stupid misinformation about cannabis to be finally dissipated and for it to be available to everyone.

With me, it lowers the pain somewhat. The trade-off is that it increases the foggy thinking.
You might consider trying different strains and different delivery methods, such as a tincture instead of smoke or vape, or a gummie instead of a tincture......
When you go to the dispensary, you can talk to the person behind the counter and explain that you want something that is the best for pain without making you foggy or groggy. That's always what I want as well, and I find that such strains do exist. Of course, you have to get a person at the counter who really knows their products, but usually if I ask for specifics in the strain I am getting, that is what they sell me.

And then it's up to me to experiment a bit, because some strains are stronger than others and some come on faster, and all of that has to be taken into consideration. Unfortunately, as soon as I have found the perfect one, it is often no longer available. But if I am very specific with my questions for the person behind the counter, I usually get a comparable replacement.

'Course, this is how it works for me. Might work the same way for you, and also might not........

Crikey it all sounds so complicated. Nan
It's not at all complicated. But, just like everything else, there's no way to know what will be helpful to you without trying it! And, just as with everything else, you need to experiment. This is the same as the experimentation one needs to do with diet and exercise and pain medication and everything else.

Just go to a dispensary and tell them exactly what you want. Then try out what they sell you and find out.

I've been trying for two years to find a cannabis strain that works for me and have always struck out on finding relief. My son says I don't use enough of it, but I don't know what to use. I just ordered some HHC-O to try but have no idea if it will help. I think I'm wired backwards and thing all Fibro patients have something going on in the nervous system that's totally whacked. I wish to God someone would find that link. Can you tell me what works for you and I'll definitely post when I see what happens with the HHC-O. Wish me luck!!!
Cathy, My doctor told me I should try it since no other Fibro meds have worked. He could not write a prescrbution for it because I am in a state where it is illegal. I did find a group of people who grows it just for patients like me. It is free, which is nice. It does matter where you get it, I want no street weed. I would try smoking it first to see how you do. If it helps you, you can order a device to dry herb vape. What this does , it does not burn at all. It will heat the flower up to 358, what you do is inhale the vapor no smoke. I guess you could think of it as a nebulizer. Edibles take a couple hours to work and you can really over do it if you are not careful. I prefer to vape & occasionally use an edibles. I take a 10 mg and cut it 4 ways, I use 2.5 mg. I would start with half that . I like to vape in the day when i have a flare up and use the edibles for sleep.

It is easier to gauge how much you need by smoking or vaping . If you start try to take 2 to 4 drags. You do not have to hold the vape/smoke in your lungs like they did in the 60s and 70s. In about 10 to 20 mins you will know if it is working. You will not get any higher the high (treatment ) will last to 3 to 5 hours. It will be consistent , that is why i like to vape over edibles . An edibles can get stronger as the hours go by. what you feel in 2 hours may get stronger hour 3 & 4 . The thing on both methods you do not want to take too much. Think of it like a bell curve, if you go past the top , It will make your fibro worse . Moderation is the key.

If you decide to do this be with someone who is experience with weed. This does not work for all people , It is the only thing that has helped my fibromyalgia. I have tried all the drugs that my doctor has given me. What is strange is my wife approves of my use of weed. She thought she would never ever wanted this stuff in our house, but seeing me suffer for decades , she is so happy for the both of us. I am now able to go on long walks with her now and go out dancing . I wish you the best Tom

@tgh1 , thank you for that informative post. I hope the information there helps some people.

Just want to make a couple of comments. As you mentioned, everyone is different and various things will affect people differently. For instance, it never takes 2 hours for an edible to start working for me; most of the time 45 minutes to an hour is when I start to notice the difference. And I have never had the effects of an edible get stronger as time went by, past the first hour and a half or so. So these are things that are different for different people. It also never takes 10 or 20 minutes for me to feel the effects of smoking cannabis....I feel it almost instantly with some strains, and in 5 minutes or so with others. I like to choose the strains that "come on" really fast, so that I never overdo it. I have noticed, and also been informed by the people at the dispensary I use, that this will vary greatly with different strains.

Very good that you mentioned that there is no need to hold the smoke in the way it used to be decades ago. The new strains available now are so strong that just a small inhale and exhale is usually sufficient. I have not thought to mention this in my advice about the use of cannabis, so thank you for that.

The best advice, as you mention, is to experiment and to start with a very small dose and find out what works best for you. I am very glad that it has proven to be a game changer for you. While I can't say it works as well for me as it apparently does for you, it is definitely something I am very happy to have in my home, as it can be tremendously helpful at some times, and I am especially glad I live in a place where it is legal. It should be legal world-wide, and I wish it were.

Thanks again for your post.

Back