Medical Marijuana - Any positive experience w Fibro Pain?

I've been trying for two years to find a cannabis strain that works for me and have always struck out on finding relief. My son says I don't use enough of it, but I don't know what to use. I just ordered some HHC-O to try but have no idea if it will help. I think I'm wired backwards and thing all Fibro patients have something going on in the nervous system that's totally whacked. I wish to God someone would find that link. Can you tell me what works for you and I'll definitely post when I see what happens with the HHC-O. Wish me luck!!!
I forgot an important thing (very silly me, can I blame it on brain fog??), which is that the best pain relief is when you use THC (cannabis) together with CBD. At least, that is true for me. So try a tincture that has 1:1 CBD and THC and see how that goes for you.

Also, if you are only using tiny amounts then what your son says might be true and you need to try more at a time.

I don't know what HHC-O is, and would be interested to learn.

Of course. that's what we're here to do. :)

The main reason there's no evidence to support its use for fibro, I think, is twofold.
One is the obvious reason that everyone with fibro is different and since there is no one medication that works well for everyone or even the majority of people with fibro (just as there is, equally, no one thing that doesn't work for the majority), it would be hard to make a case that cannabis is or is not effective as a fibro treatment unless very widescale trials were conducted.

the other reason is that since it is not even legal in many places this severely restricts and research that can be done and makes widespread research essentially impossible. In the US, it is legal for medical use in some states and legal for both medical and recreational in others, but it is not federally legal. So any research would have to be done only in a state where it is legal, and that would obviously limit the testing possibilities.

To my knowledge, there are no genuine controlled scientific tests, or research trials being conducted in the US for the effectiveness of cannabis specifically on fibromyalgia. If any are actually being done, I'd love to hear about it. I wish it would become legal federally, so that this research can be conducted at a national level. If it were, perhaps fewer people would be afraid of it.

I don’t think the reason for research on cannabis has to do with not being federally legal. I think it has to do with the FDA. the FDA has approved research for psilocybin(LSD) and it’s not legal anywhere in the US. I have tried to get into two different trials(Emory and Cybin IRL Limited) and was turned down because of the medication I was taking for depression and anxiety. What I have read on the research that has been done on psilocybin is very promising. I found these studies by going to Clinicaltrials.gov.

I don’t think the reason for research on cannabis has to do with not being federally legal. I think it has to do with the FDA. the FDA has approved research for psilocybin(LSD) and it’s not legal anywhere in the US. I have tried to get into two different trials(Emory and Cybin IRL Limited) and was turned down because of the medication I was taking for depression and anxiety. What I have read on the research that has been done on psilocybin is very promising. I found these studies by going to Clinicaltrials.gov.
hmm, well you may be right about those reasons, who knows.
But if the reason is that the FDA has not approved the research one really has to wonder why. Not that it surprises me if the government does something incomprehensible.

Psilocybin and LSD are not the same thing, though, as you seem to imply in your post. Psilocybin is a small wild mushroom that can also be cultivated and that has psychedelic properties. LSD is Lysergic acid diethylamide, which is entirely synthetic and is chemically created. Completely different things, and as one who has had extensive experience with both of these I can tell you that the effects they have on people are also completely different.

Maybe there are studies being done on both LSD and psilocybin. I've not heard of LSD being studied, which doesn't mean it isn't of course, but I have heard that the mushrooms are being studied widely for their ability to help people who have depression, among other things. (Which would indicate that it being illegal doesn't prevent research, as you are saying).

I have had my medical marijuana card for about 5 years now (in my state it is only medically legal). Before getting my card, I didn't use. It is only medically legal with a card in my state, and growing isn't permitted. For me, it is an experience for of medicine. It is one I'm grateful to have access to and is the only medication for pain management I have. Please note each state in the United States has their own laws. It is not federally legal (so crossing state lines with isn't legal). Also, many employers have their own policies regarding marijuana and testing. Do your research and make sure you are informed.

There are a ton of nuances that I have found, and heard from many others, that is very individualized and unique for the user. So, for me, this has been a lot of trial and error. During this process, I have found what works best for me. This includes route (full flower, vape, tinctures, edibles, lotion, concentrates, rso oils, capsules, powdered drink additives, etc.) I have found personally that typically full flower, with all the canaboids, is often most effective for me. Marijuana had many compounds that have different effects. Most people know of THC, what is know to create the high. Another know compound probably also most known is CBD. There are many othe compounds that have effects. This includes CBN (THC that has been oxidized or exposed to light etc and no longer has the majority of the psychoactive properties but has/is being studied for medical effects. Fir me, I take capsule of cbn from time to time for the calm it provides me, without the "high" effect. CBN also may increase the entourage effect (it can increase other canaboids, such as THC increasing the effect). Terpines also play a big part. They play a part in flavor/taste as well as impact and effect.

There is research being done on the medical effects/benefits of cannabis. This is taking place in university laboratory, the private sector, and pharmaceutical companies.

My dispensery staff, discussions with other users and websites that tell about strain effects, indica/sativa %, flavor, smell, terpines, side effects and user review of experience.

There are many forms that medical marijuana can come in. I have found that my response to strains are different as well as form. Forms can include (but are not limited to) flower, vapes, edibles, capsules, rso oils, concentrates, tinctures, powders to add to drinks and lotion just to name a few. For myself personally, I have seen my most benefits from smoking flower. I recieve all the canaboid benefits of the nuanced compound effects.

Strains make a BIG difference. Each may have a different effect. I have a go to strain for low back pain and cramps, one that helps relax my neck/sholders/chest, anxiety and panic attacks, depression, pain, focus, sleep and happy giggles high. What works for me, isn't a guarantee someone else had the same effects and feelings. It has been trial and error. THC% can have a big impact, as well as strain type. An example is for me, some strains with 18% THC can cause me to be/feel more high than an extremely high THC flower with 30%THC.

Yes form :) 3rd time a charm :)

So I know expensive is relative to individuals and prices do fluctuate on strain, quality, format, location purchasing, and sales at the shop. I can spend anywhere around $200-$600 when I purchase from my dispensery delivery (yes the one I do use can deliver to your house). This is an out of pocket cost, unlike my pharmacy medication that goes through insurance. I order around monthly. Price does also fluctuate on the format. For example my indica capsule can be pricy around $100.00 for 30 capsules. The price of flower varies too, for an eighth (3.5g) can be normally priced between $25 - $68. Again it depends on strain, grower, strength, quality etc.

Hi. I had tried medicinal cannibus. But it left me head messed up and I always melted into the furniture unable to function at all. It did not matter how much or how little I would ingest. The results were the same. I should mention that this was before edibles had been perfected.

I love a quote by JayCS💚 GURU.

I prefer pain with a brain versus no pain no brain.

But good-luck on your journey!

I have to absolutely say I'm a firm believer and testimonial why I am today. Today I woke up my sholders drawn all the way up and in towards my ears. My hands so stiff they could barely open and could not fully close into a fist. After smoking a strain I specifically chose for relaxation, "body melt" and happy sleepy vibe. I also ingested a Indica THC capsule to ease the pain, relax the muscles, and eventually put me into relaxed sleep. I'm very grateful it is medically legal in my state. It absolutely has made today not only tolerable I was productive. And I'm now being rewarded with physical body relaxation but what will be restful sleep. Something I don't get often. Today has made me a believer that it works.

Yes I too get relief from MM, I use 1ml 3 times a day. At bed time I use .5ml of THC. This combination for me has been a blessing for FM pain and also with my spinal stenosis and nerve pain.
Oh I still get mad flares if I overdo it but they don’t seem to last near as long as they did. I have slowly weened off most meds now.
I am back on lyrica 75mg , but stopped the morning dose and only take it at night now. I will be off that in the new year ( Christmas rush and excitement so may need it, lol) , so in new year I WILL only be on MM oils.
If my pain levels rise and stay that way I can up the oils a little so I still have plenty of relief in the long term.

I was on opiate medication for 10 years, but thought it would be worth a try to get my medical marijuana license. I spent close to $1,500+ (special doctor $250 plus the license cost plus products at dispensary) and after trying to figure out what would be the alternative for pain, sleep, and energy, etc. by speaking with “the professionals,” none of it worked. I had a VERY bad effect by eating 2/3 of a 10 mg. gummy bear. I started at 1/4 mg. and had no response so I nibbled off a bit more. When I let the dogs in and went to shut the door, I was seeing TERRIBLE tracer effects!!!! I was nauseous as well. Had to rest until hours later when it finally wore off. As for people saying you can mix it with any other drugs, in my experience personally, I’d say NO! When I tried a tincture and it wasn’t helpful with my fibromyalgia pain, I couldn’t stand it any longer so I took my opiate med (yes! Prescription) and I got violently ill. Nauseous, dizzy, off kilter….. hope this helps. I know many that say (contrary to its stigma to cure pain) that marijuana does NOT help with pain for many! I never smoked it though. Used gummies, tinctures, and vaped a few times and almost choked to death. They have oil in them; coats your lungs and BURNS 🥵!!!!!!

Wow @Calli, that sure does sound like VERY unpleasant experience! I wish you had a better dispensery staff member that may have helped!

For me personally, I have a MUCH different reaction to oral and with vape oils. I was ready to throw in the towel. Then a friend of mine told me that she only sees benefits from smoking full flower. The oral THC gets processed within your liver. It takes time to hit your system. The low and slow start is a bit difficult because you can feel nothing, then take more. Soon it can turn into a major wham and an unpleasant experience.

Full flower is also something to navigate. Each strain has a different smell, taste, and result. It has taken me several years and a lot of trial. Smoking was easier for me to control dose. Sometimes at dispensaries they tend to lean in hard recommending high THC products for pain. I really have found strain to be more reliable. For me, I learned things like sunset sherbert x kush mints has an upper body relaxation sholder melt. I get a happy high, that can have some light sensitivity and dizziness if I smoke 1/2 a joint. So I tend to go back to it for a few puffs throught the day. Black tuna relaxed the lower half and is fantastic for cramps. I however have to be selective when I use black tuna as it is hard on my chest, where muscles tighten. It also doesn't mask the pain, it is almost like it "clears the noise" of all my nerve pain, and I'm able to feel my pain more clearly as to where it's coming from.

It has been a big learning curve. I used a few websites to learn more about each strains effects, terpines, flavors, side effects and what it is good with helping. I took on the project like a science experience. I started slow and low, smoking out of a small bowl to start. That way, it was a few hits then done. I wrote effects with a permanent marker, listing things like sleepy, hungry, body melt, energy, Happy, relaxed etc.

All this said, no, weed has not been a one for one replacement compared to my opioid prescription. I had been on opioid medications for 5-7 years. Those years I was very "functional". My FM & CFS didn't hold me back. The medicine allowed me to live a fulfilling life with extremely long work hours. I found a lot of joy and reward in my work. Then with regulation changes, the opioid medicine I had been taking was no longer available to me. I had nothing to control my pain. I really leaned into holistic and alternative medicine at this time seeking any for of relief. A few years latter is when I found Medical Marijuana (MM). It took me almost a year to dial it in, then maybe another year with all the strain trials, to have a better understanding of what a strain may help with it's given lineage (parents & type). It still can be trial and error for me with strains.

MM has been helpful in my life. It was not a one for one replacement of my opioid medicine. However, when opioid medicine no longer became an option, MM unlocked a world of relief. It isn't a magic bullet. It has taken a very sharp edge off of my pain. Has helped with my sleep, anxiety, depression and focused energy to get some things done around the house. One great benefit it had was finding strains to control my nausea, increase my appetite and allowed me to be able to eat.

MM is NOT for everyone. I have friends that the side effects are too much, the relief too little, and the costs prohibitive. I have one friend that can't take edibles/oral because he gets zero effect, even with very large doses. It turns out his body doesn't have a particular enzymes that allows the liver to process the THC and deliver the high.

I'm a strong believer that us with FM can be sensitivity to everything 🤣 each one of our bodies are unique. What may work for one, doesn't work for all! Unfortunately, a lot of things like food, medicine, environmental factors and emotional and mental health factors all impact us a little differently. Tuning into your own body, and tuning it out at times, becomes an art form combined with science. It is not always easy, but eventually we can learn to dance with it, constantly adapting and controlling things we can, to make it a little bit easier.

Sending you lots of love and healing thoughts & wishes!

Back