How are you today?

Yes, I stay away from processed food; don't have any canned products in my cupboard or packaged prepared food in my freezer. As it turns out, my Life Mark facilitator, who does exercises for the seniors in the building I just moved into, hypothesized malnutrition when I told him of the weight loss incurred over the past few years and the more prominent skeletal appearance. This was related to a private session with him after he noticed me "wobbly" - my balance was off. So it would appear that, even though I eat healthily (except for the occasional Tim Horton's muffin if I need something to eat while I'm out), there is either something amiss with my body's efficiency at absorbing the nutrients or else, the natural food sources themselves are lacking nutrients because of climate change/pollution.

🤗🤗🤗🍰 sorry to hear about the stressful time, the last thing you need is a flare thanks to other people 😡
Yes, I stay away from processed food; don't have any canned products in my cupboard or packaged prepared food in my freezer. As it turns out, my Life Mark facilitator, who does exercises for the seniors in the building I just moved into, hypothesized malnutrition when I told him of the weight loss incurred over the past few years and the more prominent skeletal appearance. This was related to a private session with him after he noticed me "wobbly" - my balance was off. So it would appear that, even though I eat healthily (except for the occasional Tim Horton's muffin if I need something to eat while I'm out), there is either something amiss with my body's efficiency at absorbing the nutrients or else, the natural food sources themselves are lacking nutrients because of climate change/pollution.
This was in response to a post much further up, sorry. @Auriel I'm so sorry to hear of your conflict with the neighbour. I can relate. It gives you a feeling of helplessness and being trapped in the situation, doesn't it? Interpersonal stress really takes a toll on your mind and body.

Well, this cultivar of rapeseed is a plant that has been given the new name, because it is not only edible, but healthy.
All the plants we eat are cultivars of other plants.

Misinformation on social media I think is just cos it's complex. And incomplete will always be the case - but I'm all for trying to complete it and get down to finding agreement or a point where it's just about opinions.

A collection of snippets from a variety of science sources, which are unanimous in their praise of canola, "ideal", "very healthy", "the most healthy", "Many dietitians believe that canola oil could be considered the healthiest edible oil."

Good to avoid TBHQ as a food additive, wheresoever; rosemary and tocopherols (vitamin E) are great additives.

Taste, not health, quoted as a reason for developing further cultivars of the canola-form of rapeseed - no problem.

There are other pages which delve into the problems more directly, like hexane for extraction vs. cold pressed, trans-fats which are roughly the same as in other oils, very low level.
Bottom line is to try to buy only buy “cold-pressed,” “unrefined,” “virgin,” and only from reputable brand.

But why, and were they praps misinformed...? I think that it's only the comparatively high amount of omega 6, double that of omega 3, whilst it should be less. Whilst Bruce Hoffman, a functional doc I very much respect, stresses omega 6 is also important. Just there's already too much of it in the "typical" American diet, the ratio is 15 to 1. But for people that generally eat healthy, a bit more omega 6 is OK, and it's important to get lots of omega 3. Too much omega 6 would cause inflammation, so it's eating all the really unhealthy stuff that does so, pointing specifically to canola is eyewashing.
On the other hand Hoffman, recommends cooking with things like coconut oil. This would fit to me having thought that cooking and frying with canola is a problem (volatile unsaturated fats), but looking this up, the others are actually much worse, like corn, soy and sunflower.
Olive oil has less unsaturated fats, more saturated, so seems better for frying. But actually modern research has been showing that saturated fats aren't that bad after all, it's processed food that's worst.

Varying good quality oils with little processing will be the best solution, but canola can be among them, as far as I can see.
Like olive oil is a good part of the Mediterranean diet, canola oil is part of the Nordic diet counterpart, both good, I do both.
Eating food with fried with re-heated oil will be the worst choice.

And just looking at this one thing is begging the question of a balanced healthy diet with mainly unprocessed food.

It's tenancy connected @MissNeverWell , if it was a neighbour it would be much easier (they're being very sly and getting nasty with me for getting support from outside sources and fact checking) my legs aren't so bad today now (I don't feel so stressed either) hope everyone's have a nice/ok day (+ if not hope you feel better soon and then I'll send you lots of hugs back 😊) ☀️💛🤗

Last edited:
either something amiss with my body's efficiency at absorbing the nutrients or else, the natural food sources themselves are lacking nutrients because of climate change/pollution.
Yeah, the first is much more logical and what 2 of my docs have been saying recently, based on my 100s of intolerances, too.
Not that I believe the ideas of my docs that much, but these are 2 that have a measured, knowing view of my body.
(One my onco who 'admitted' today's medicine won't be able to help me. One my cardio who knows me well & listens to me.)

there is either something amiss with my body's efficiency at absorbing the nutrients
Frustrating about this is that the so-called leaky gut "theory" and its remedies don't fit to my issues, so I'm stuck with researching myself, getting specific bloods done, trialling and taking lots of very specific supps to at least take the brunt off it.

Same with our tooth guinea pig, actually, just he shows me what he wants and I hope it's what he needs:
I "listen" (watch) extremely closely what he shows me when I offer him every single thing I can think of using the web - herbs, soft stuff, small bits, and esp. mush in more and more different tastes and types (6-7). Finding and offering these even got his weight to increase by 100g, I was on some days managing to give him 180 syringes of 4 alternating tastes of mush, now he takes quite a bit from spoons/saucers. Most importantly I now give him his pain killer with fennel tea, and lo and behold - no more force feeding necessary. Brilliantly at the moment his favourite is one that I know is best for him - no artificial stuff, or soy.
To find out what he wants I had to change my wife's strategy of semi-"force" feeding to offering him things whilst he can run around, and come when he needs something, complete paradigm shift.
Stress for me of course, physically (can hardly move when he's eating, cos he's extremely sensitive) and emotionally, not so much mentally, but I'm working at reducing that and using his meal times every 4-5 hours in daytime to improve my own time management. Best (and mid-term less stressful) for me was to take over completely from my wife, whom it was getting very depressed, nothing was working, and getting into a clear rhythm, having an overview etc..

But all so familiar - like the garden it's reflection and application of my own health (and mental) journey, finding what I need.

You have a very fortunate guinea pig there, to have such a devoted owner. I've done some extreme things over the years with critters, and somehow, it helps to know how much they appreciate it.
Well, I'm a very fortunate adoptive father, he owns me (like my garden and what's in it), my wife is the "owner", who chooses, decides etc., I'd never get a pet myself, too much responsibility, but to me the reponsibility is there once they're there.. I only step in when it's a matter of life or death, and in this case he'd have died in autumn, so this was my wife's best Xmas prezzy. I'm lucky that he wanted to live but didn't know how to tell us what he needed. I don't know if I could have helped the previous ones who I fed all day and also night in my first half year of fibro, but maybe, cos:

More importantly here: Knowing how and what to try is another upside of learning to manage fibromyalgia. It's not just my dedication, it's making the impossible possible by listening and thinking outside the box.

@JayCS
More importantly here: Knowing how and what to try is another upside of learning to manage fibromyalgia. It's not just my dedication, it's making the impossible possible by listening and thinking outside the box.
So very true, and I have been learning over the years, but now knowing the 'why', it's making sense and a bit easier to learn my limits.

Recently, my daughter had some chickens that needed care while she was at work, and a week later (week old chicks) one of the hens got sick. I ended up in a sort of daze, but all survived. Hen became paralyzed, but is now walking again.

I'm now recovering, but I managed, and several chickens , now chooklets, (pullets and hopefully only one cockerel) and one hen all okay. :)

Tackling things differently, lowering stress as much as possible, and mixing rest with caring, the hen would not have survived if I hadn't found other ways of doing things.

I really have virtually no issues compared with you, but you are very much a backbone of the forums, (in my humble opinion) and I respect your input greatly 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

I really have virtually no issues compared with you, but you are very much a backbone of the forums, (in my humble opinion) and I respect your input greatly 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗
Thanks - and it's so wonderful that you still keep joining in with your authentically warm, heartfelt and thoughtful responses! 🤗

Thanks - and it's so wonderful that you still keep joining in with your authentically warm, heartfelt and thoughtful responses! 🤗
@JayCS well !!!!! :) what can I say? Thank you 🤗 🤗

You and @sunkacola , your welcoming and supportive chat is why I stayed, and why I am so pleased to have come across these forums.

Now there's the added bonus of all the others, @Auriel and so many more 😁🤗🤗
Jaycs is really brainy 😁 (at the risk of sounding wierd can we see your Guinea pigs one day?)

@JayCS , I second that (y)

Back