Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
CA
THIS IS MY STORY ONLY. MY EXPERIENCE ONLY. NEVER STOP ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR PHYSICIAN

After many years of undiagnosed Fybromyalgia I was finally diagnosed about 2012. I was immediately put on Lyrica, 150 mg 2X a day. Eleven yrs later I had gained 100 lbs, was stripped of my personality, creativity, zest for life and daily hygiene habits. I did not give a hoot about ANYTHING AND I MEAN ANYTHING! I felt as if I were reverting back to toddlerhood.

Now I have been off of Lyrica for 3 1/2 weeks now! I AM OFF OF THE COUCH! I am cleaning again, laughing again, participating in life! I am so so happy. And yes I have that elusive ENERGY again. And guess what? My imagination and creativity are making a come back. AND DID I SAY I HAVE ENERGY!

YES! The pain is coming back too. I'm on SSI disability because of Fybromyalgia. But I'm seeking natural pain relieving methods. Lots of prayer, listening to the Holy Spirit and keeping my focus on God. Reading the bible everyday.. And alot of ice and heat.. Pray, pray and more prayer. I am learning to listen to my body. I take lots and lots of breaks.

Stay on top of side effects of your medication. Don't be so quick to chalk the new effects on your body, personality ect. to just fybro. You can still have extreme fybro and still have a personality!

AGAIN THIS IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH THE LIFE SUCKING LYRICA. NOT EVERYONE WILL EXPERIENCE WHAT I HAVE. NEVER RANDOMLY STOP ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING YOUR PHYSICIAN.

I am seeking any advice on a more natural pain relieving way of life.

God bless you all

Wow, what kind of dose did the doctor start you on? I was titrated up to 100 mg 3x per day over 4 months and I have no side effects. I have more energy now than before I started, but probably get drowsy sometimes about a half hour after taking a dose. A quick nap restores me. Too bad it didn’t work out for you; I hope you find something else that helps.

I had gained 100 lbs, was stripped of my personality, creativity, zest for life and daily hygiene habits
Hi there, and welcome! Amitriptyline was starting to do this and more to me (8 side effects), but I jumped off it (fairly quickly) when after 4 months my neurologist rightly thought it was increasing my focal seizures... However supps like melatonin and CBD oil dulled my brain too, so whether synthetic or natural we always have to weigh positive vs. negative effects. So I prefer pain with brain rather than no pain with no brain.

However there are loads of non-med ways to get pain down - I use 40 supps, but most don't decrease my pain, however like you already do breaks / rest, plus all kinds of physical therapy for all the local pains, in my case mainly stretches, "acupressure" and massager.

Belief, prayer, as well as mindset may not stop pain, but it can very much help cope, by 'halving' 'all' additional problems incl. pain about the pain etc.

I am loving this quote...💚JayCS

I prefer pain with brain rather than no pain with no brain.

I've tried supplements too. They became too expensive to maintain. And really didn't do much for me except turn my wee into pretty colors. I'm now just taking in lots of fresh air and belley laughs while strengthening my stamina from living on a couch or in a bed for 10 years.

Everyone needs to find what works for themselves. These are my choices based on my needs. Never ever give up!

Thank you so much, Gingery.

I'm so happy you have found success with Lyrica. And I was taking 150mg 2X a day for 5 yrs. Then 150mg 3X a day for 3 years. Back to 2X a day.

Lyrica zapped my life slowly and consistently over the 10 year process. I feel as if I'm turning back into a beautiful butterfly.

Again this was my personal decision. And was done with the supervision of my physician.

God bless you and your continued success with Lyrica.

I've tried supplements too. They became too expensive to maintain. And really didn't do much for me except turn my wee into pretty colors. I'm now just taking in lots of fresh air and belley laughs while strengthening my stamina from living on a couch or in a bed for 10 years.
Pretty colours? What was that then? So far only hyper-dosing B2 turns mine neon yellow. Methylene blue a few days turned the yellow slightly green, cos I didn't get beyond 4 drops, - harmed, didn't work, "altho" it's the new buzz one by all the functional docs.
Yeah, mine are very expensive because I watch out for single components, in the best possible form, purity and reliability, reduced by self-encapsulating. But I don't need to spend money on anything else, as I can't do things like travel. I've selected them out of quite a few more for 20 to 40 hours based mainly on pubmed research evidence for my 100s of symptoms balanced with claims by functional doctors and webpages as well as other "power-users" on specific forums or scientists on their channels. And I've arrived at around 40 after trialling each carefully, so saw and/or regularly still check and see (from symptoms, scans, bloods) that they are actually doing a good job, most for multiple purposes. It's possible that more than just GABA are helping local pains, since I've managed to get all my local pains down. But quite a few of them contribute to my now very effective and restorative sleep. Many have also managed to get my jaw pain from an inflammation down, to the surprise of my dentist. They don't seem to work on my alertness, and especially my increasingly enormous fatigue. Only one left for that is L D N, and I'm gonna try, but I'm also scared, cos I haven't got much left that I can afford to lose, too much to recover from at the moment...
But there's absolutely tons aside from supps to try, so fresh air and belly laughs are great and I truly need & get both, but there'll be more for you....- unfortunately not much more for me except continually re-adjusting. At the moment I'd be better if I'd relax every single minute, and can't seem to stop distracting. And am looking for a better balance between "post exertional malaise" and "post postural Ache" too. I know all this stuff off by heart, but things have changed again, and my head's too dull to self-care as well as I could a month ago....

I totally agree with you. That's how I was for years on Lyrica. I became a pillow. A pillow on the couch or on the bed. I make adjustments daily begining when I first open my eyes in the morning. I'm constantly reaccessing my pain. As I to know that if I do too much I will pay the price in pain. I'm lucky to say that in the last few years I've only had one severe fibro flare up. And I paid dearly. That is something I could go the rest of my life not experiencing again.

I've actually gone 3 days in a row with being productive for 4 hours each day. This is a huge improvement from the last 5 years. I have an appointment today. But my body is telling me it's had enough. So while I am slowly advancing I'm still only taking baby steps.

My wee has been, blue, neon yellow and pink (no blood). I'm normal now.

Keep moving forward as stopping now will only negate all progress thus far. I can relate and I'm clawing my way out.

I'm very curious as to how those that are 75+ years old are feeling with fybromyalgia?

Have an awesome day.

I also understand the feeling of being exhausted of the effort of, trying, trying again and again without meaning full or lasting results.
This can be exhausting, for sure. But it will be a lot less so, or not at all, if it is viewed as experimentation rather than expecting each thing you try to fix everything or make a huge difference.

With this kind of thing, the best approach is to try things with an attitude of experimentation, which always implies trial-and-error, meaning that some things will fail to have the hoped-for results. So when that happens, it can be viewed as progress, and as very meaningful results, because you learn something. You learn that that thing isn't helpful for you at this time. Doesn't mean it won't ever help, it might at another time. but for now, what it means is you can check that box as having been tried and move on to something else. This is always forward progress and the results are always meaningful.

My wee has been, blue, neon yellow and pink (no blood). I'm normal now.
Hehe, I'll never be normal 😁, though my wee might. So was blue from methylene blue, neon yellow from B2 and pink from astaxanthin? That'd be my trials. Harm from 1 + 3, in my case, but at least improved bloods from B2...

Yes! I'm only speaking of my wee. Ha ha! I've always been a very, very happy person. And now that I'm starting to get back to my old self again. I'm looked at as being abnormal because I find happiness in all things. Especially now a days . Everyone is so serious. And for good reason. I whole heartily believe in the golden rule!

And I can't remember what I was taking at the time to color my wee. 🤷‍♀️🤣

I was diagnosed with fibro in my late 30's, and now am 74 yrs. old. I have tried every FDA approved med for
it (all the antidepressants), and every diet/ supplement "known to man"; to make a very long story short, without details
of the misery I've gone through.....NO DRUG has ever helped with constant pain and exhaustion. My deep faith in the
Triune God is the reason I've made it this far. But I HAVE discovered in the last few years that deep tissue/trigger point
massage, and acupuncture treatments do give me temporary relief; however, insurance/Medicare doesn't pay for these
treatments, so I can't afford to have them often as needed. I empathize with your struggles.....good luck and God bless.

deep tissue/trigger point massage, and acupuncture treatments ..... however, insurance/Medicare doesn't pay for these treatments, so I can't afford to have them often as needed
Have you tried all the various forms of self-treatment using what you've learnt from your manual therapists and youtube? Of course acupuncture isn't possible, tissue massage can't be quite as deep, but it's still possible, and trigger point and many similar are too...

Back