What to do about chronic pain

be careful Barbella Medicinal Cannabis. is available under script in Australia however it will show up in a road side drug test and the road rules make no allowance for medical use - so you can be fined and loose points.

Thankyou Sundacola for sharing your journey and alot you have said has been taken on board.
Have you had any experience with Medicinal Cannabis. Im in Australia and talking to my doctor to make a request next week.
Best wishes for the New Year. Cheers
Yes, I use medical cannabis regularly. I find that it is very helpful, and I always recommend that people give it a try if you can get it legally where you live.
The most effective for pain is a mixture of THC and CBD, and CBG is also good to have in there. The easiest way to receive that, I have found, is in a tincture, which is good also because it doesn't involve smoking. I use edibles such as gummies, the tinctures, and I also smoke some, depending on what I need in the moment. I recommend that you talk with the person at the place where you go to buy it, explain exactly what you are looking for (ie: do you want relaxation, but no appetite increase, good for pain but won't make you too stoned, etc.), and take their suggestions. sometimes it takes trying a couple or more different products to find the ones that are just right for you. Like everything else, it is not for everyone. I hope it works well for you.

be careful Barbella Medicinal Cannabis. is available under script in Australia however it will show up in a road side drug test and the road rules make no allowance for medical use - so you can be fined and loose points.
I recommend that cannabis should be treated like alcohol: basically, don't drive if you have been using it. I only use it when I am at home.

If you really need to use it when you are away from home, though, you could take it in as a gummie or other edible, which goes through your digestive system and therefore takes longer to take effect, but there won't be anything that could show up on a roadside test. The only thing that can show up on a test like that would be if you had been smoking it.

I recommend that cannabis should be treated like alcohol: basically, don't drive if you have been using it. I only use it when I am at home.

If you really need to use it when you are away from home, though, you could take it in as a gummie or other edible, which goes through your digestive system and therefore takes longer to take effect, but there won't be anything that could show up on a roadside test. The only thing that can show up on a test like that would be if you had been smoking it.
actually You may get prescribed CBD, THC or a THC/CBD combination medication depending on the condition being treated. we do not have medical gummies down here - it is a scheduled drug the doctor can prescript it but needs authorization number from the Gov'n . The product is a liquid I believe - much different from America . If caught in a road side drug test you can argue that it did not impair your ability to drive however I think the cops will still issue a ticket and you would need to argue the case in front of a judge. at least in NSW police do not make any distinction between smoking a joint and taking medical cannabis their brain matter is not well developed yet. So if you do going on script for it be very careful while driving.

@johnsalmon , that's interesting.....obviously I don't know how things work Down Under. But I have a question: if you have taken a liquid form of something, then it is in your body and could only be detected with a blood test, and even then only if it has actually had time to go through your system and into your blood. It can't be detected with a breathalyzer. Do the police in OZ have roadside blood tests? Or how do they detect the presence of it?

I have never been pulled over for a drug or booze test but I believe the drug test is a salvia test also If the police reasonably suspect that a person is driving under the influence of a drug, they have the power to take them to a hospital for a blood or urine test for the presence of drugs, under the supervision of a doctor.

Just want to clarify this a bit. It's not true that opiates make no difference for people with fibro. Actually, no statement that says anything always works or never works for people with fibro is going to be untrue, because each person is so different. That is why there is no effective treatment for fibromyalgia on the market..... nothing works for everyone, and equally nothing fails to work for everyone.

For some, it doesn't work, just like everything else. But for others opiates like tramadol are very effective for the pain. The problem is that with a drug like that, it is inevitable that a body will get used to one level and then it won't work any more and it will be necessary to take more, and because it is an opiate it is highly addictive. It's amazing how little, and for what a short time it takes for a body to become dependent on it and opiate addiction is no joke.

This is why I always try to steer people away from even thinking about taking opiate medication unless it is very strictly used, only very rarely, and only when absolutely necessary. I, for instance, will take a tramadol perhaps 5 or 6 times a year, and only on the days when I am lying on the couch unable to think because the pain is so bad, and it's my third day like that. It's very effective for me under these circumstances, taking the pain down to a manageable level. But I would never take it 2 days in a row or more than once a month, tops.
I can only speak from personal experience. I am one of those people who use opioid's. A very low dose of 5mg at the most 2 a day and they definitely help me. I have had around 15 surgeries from a very young age, I have just turned 57. I suffered with endometrioses, then at the age of 28 had lower back surgery from a ruptured disc, in my forties had 2 cervical fusions, then late last year had plater fasciitis so had foot surgery. I have also been diagnosed with fibro. I am in some form of constant pain 24/7.

I can totally understand why some people are against opioids and their reasons are valid. I think the statement I keep hearing and one I can relate to is 'quality of life'. From the time I had the 2 fusions in my neck and still suffered pain afterwards (nothing compared to the pain pre surgery) I had 2 little girls who depended on me for everything. My husband had to work long hours as we only had one income. I couldn't lay on the couch, I was on call 24/7.

Now they are teenagers and can do a lot more for themselves but still need their mum in different ways as I am dammed if when they get older they look back and remember their mum as not being able to participate in anything with them. I definitely have my limitations and that is something I need to accept. I also struggle with anxiety/depression and that is something else I need to manage. Like many of us I'm sure.

I would take whatever medication there is that gives me quality time with my husband and my girls because if I don't have that then to me I have no quality of life.

I have never been pulled over for a drug or booze test but I believe the drug test is a salvia test also If the police reasonably suspect that a person is driving under the influence of a drug, they have the power to take them to a hospital for a blood or urine test for the presence of drugs, under the supervision of a doctor.
They do that here,especially if there was a really bad accident where the person injured is severally injured or has passed away. I used Marijuana in the past,but having a heart attack,it's not recommended by my cardiologist in any form since it constrict the blood vessels and could cause another heart attack. I think 1 was enough.

I can only speak from personal experience. I am one of those people who use opioid's. A very low dose of 5mg at the most 2 a day and they definitely help me. I have had around 15 surgeries from a very young age, I have just turned 57. I suffered with endometrioses, then at the age of 28 had lower back surgery from a ruptured disc, in my forties had 2 cervical fusions, then late last year had plater fasciitis so had foot surgery. I have also been diagnosed with fibro. I am in some form of constant pain 24/7.

I can totally understand why some people are against opioids and their reasons are valid. I think the statement I keep hearing and one I can relate to is 'quality of life'. From the time I had the 2 fusions in my neck and still suffered pain afterwards (nothing compared to the pain pre surgery) I had 2 little girls who depended on me for everything. My husband had to work long hours as we only had one income. I couldn't lay on the couch, I was on call 24/7.

Now they are teenagers and can do a lot more for themselves but still need their mum in different ways as I am dammed if when they get older they look back and remember their mum as not being able to participate in anything with them. I definitely have my limitations and that is something I need to accept. I also struggle with anxiety/depression and that is something else I need to manage. Like many of us I'm sure.

I would take whatever medication there is that gives me quality time with my husband and my girls because if I don't have that then to me I have no quality of life.
I'm currently on percocet 5mg from a rotator cuff surgery and it seems to be working less and less everyday. I am allowed 4 a day but have limited myself to 3 a day. It worked the first week I was on them,but after that, I really don't see a difference. The good thing this time around is I don't feel the high feeling from them and that is part of addiction and why people continue taking them,they are chasing a high they'll never get again after the first few times taking it,so coming off them won't be so bad when it's time. I'm 4 weeks out post surgery and doing physical therapy for my shoulder,which hurts pretty badly,but I use ice and rest to deal with the pain since that's the only thing that does have any affect on the pain. It's the first major surgery I have had besides the heart surgery, which isn't considered a.majpr surgery. I was actually awake for that surgery.
I see a new doctor in March since my last doctor I had major issues with trying to control the pain before surgery. Several things she done were unethical and I plan to pursue turning her in to the state for what she done. There's a lot of proof she was unethical along with the rest of the doctors there.
If Marijuana helps people,I say use it and don't drive while under the influence. I know it has several benefits, not just for fms.

I'm currently on percocet 5mg from a rotator cuff surgery and it seems to be working less and less everyday. I am allowed 4 a day but have limited myself to 3 a day. It worked the first week I was on them,but after that, I really don't see a difference. The good thing this time around is I don't feel the high feeling from them and that is part of addiction and why people continue taking them,they are chasing a high they'll never get again after the first few times taking it,so coming off them won't be so bad when it's time. I'm 4 weeks out post surgery and doing physical therapy for my shoulder,which hurts pretty badly,but I use ice and rest to deal with the pain since that's the only thing that does have any affect on the pain. It's the first major surgery I have had besides the heart surgery, which isn't considered a.majpr surgery. I was actually awake for that surgery.
I see a new doctor in March since my last doctor I had major issues with trying to control the pain before surgery. Several things she done were unethical and I plan to pursue turning her in to the state for what she done. There's a lot of proof she was unethical along with the rest of the doctors there.
If Marijuana helps people,I say use it and don't drive while under the influence. I know it has several benefits, not just for fms.

Thanks for sharing your experience Drummer 76. I hope you find some relief soon.

I am so glad you mentioned medicinal marijuana as I have heard good reviews for chronic pain sufferers.

Thanks for sharing your experience Drummer 76. I hope you find some relief soon.

I am so glad you mentioned medicinal marijuana as I have heard good reviews for chronic pain sufferers.
It's good for it but some of us just can't use it anymore. I slept so much better using it

I know this is very late, but I just figured this out and I'd like to see if It helps others. First, I've had tender points since I can remember around 5yo when my cousin would hold me down and thump on my chest. I would cry and he'd call me a baby, etc.

When I was 11yo I moved to Oregon and the pain grew to the point that at 16 I told my doctor. He dismissed it as growing pains. At 18, I yelled at the doctor because he wouldn't do anything and I asked him, "Why am I paying you? Aren't you supposed to help me. If this is what it feels like to get old, KILL ME NOW!" They next appointment, they poked me 6 times and said I had fibromyalgia.

It's been 39 years and the doctors have tried everything drug wise (Mostly telling me to workout because I was 230lbs). Slowly I stopped going outside for anything but work and I had to take meloxicam and tramadol just to make it. I would take the meds 5 days a week and lay in pain all weekend for over 10 years. Then I was fired (twice, the second time two years later) for having to leave work because of the pain. Illegal much Walmart?

A friend pointed me to a shuttle company and I became one of their drivers. I quit smoking cigarettes about this time which also lowered my pain and I started going to gym because I was use to running around a store for 12 hours a day. After a few weeks, the pain only lasted 10 minutes at the gym before the adrenaline kicked in, but the pain was back within 30 minutes.

I was about 280lbs at this point, but people said I carried it well. I have no idea what that means. I didn't have healthcare and I my blood pressure made it illegal to be on the road as a commercial driver. So, I had to quit.

And back to Walmart. I cut back on sugar because I was diagnosed a pre-diabetic and it helped with the pain quite a bit, but that just let me stop taking tramadol. Not being a manager reduced my stress and working in the produce department help with exercise. Then I started getting promoted again and again. I kept the stress down and the physical movement up.

Then covid hit. High stress, no employees. I had to run and manage two people and myself covering the bakery/deli/produce/frozen/meat/diary. After 2 years of that, I had to take a medical leave.

They fired me again.

I took the first job I could find, but supporting a house of 6 on minimum wage is hard. We ate a lot of rice, potatoes, and noodles. I didn't have medical, but my brother gave me his old blood testing "stuff" and I was in the 400's. I was now a full diabetic. My weight shot up to 350lbs in the 2 months it took me to get medical. (I'm down to 290lbs, but it's slow going).

I started using medical marijuana (edibles) and I have found I must use indica, CBDx and sativa seemed to cause pain in my mid-back, shoulders and neck.

I switched jobs and re-gained medical. I asked my doctor for something for anxiety because I can't stand the taste of marijuana. I also didn't like that the pain had turned me into a very angry person, ready to yell at everyone. She gave me Buspirone and it helped with the pain (for a few weeks), but did nothing for the anxiety.

Currently I'm have been having really bad stomach problems off and on for a few weeks (I can't keep liquids down by them selves) and my sciatic nerve have been hurting more and more everyday. I might just have a bug or what is causing the pain and that might be causing the stomach problems. Either way, I haven't taken any oil and I'm in a lot of pain.

<If you get bored, this is the important part>
Today, I called out sick because of the stomach problems and I just happen to catch a documentary about Histamine. Longer story shorter, I took 20mg Loratadine (Claritin). The company that makes Loratadine calls this an overdose!!! But, a doctor for the FDA block Loratadine for a few years because he said the effects are only greater than placebo at a minimum dose of 40mg. The company didn't want to raise it to 40mg because anything over 10mg causes drowsiness in a non-drowsy antihistamine.

At first, I was a little sleepy, but my lingering pain is gone. I do feel the tightness from my sciatic nerve. If I sit the wrong way I do get the burning pain under my right shoulder blade near the spine and my stomach is still "bubbly".
<If you get bored, this is the end of important part>
If anyone is maxed out on their meds like I was and the doctors are unwilling to give you anything for break-though pain, try a generic Claritin or two and let me know if it helps. I'm starting to think most of my problems are linked, but the doctors never looked passed fibromyalgia for me.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I don't talk about pain or fibromyalgia with the family because they just say, "You are always in pain" or "You always hurt."

Back