Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
NV
When my fibro is flaring, my pain upon any exertion is strange (even just walking a few feet) . It's in my arms and/or legs, but only the front of my legs and tops/ front of my arms. This can happen with any use. When it's in my legs, the pain just keeps getting worse as I walk (even slowly) l but is relieved simply by stopping in place briefly. Had anyone had pain symptoms like this?

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the question - I'm stumped! But always glad to think about details of pain types, because it helps pinpoint, understand and influence it, instead of being overwhelmed by believing it's "everywhere, all the time, moving, unchangeable".

Can you describe the form of pain?
I was thinking a dull Ache all over like I get from & after exertion. But maybe it's more localized and stabbing?
And is it not actually from the exertion (so more in the muscles) but from the movement (so more in the tendons)?
I think we can all relate to achey pain getting worse from walking, but I don't think any of us can say it's just on the front.
But thinking about it, I do think my Ache is always more in my quads rather than my hamstrings, and in my biceps rather than my triceps, is that praps what you mean?

I'm just detailing that I get my overall Ache in my limbs from exertion, which builds up during it, but can vary if I'm using my arms more. I've started calling this post exertional malaise, like in CFS. But that made me realize that I also wake up at night and in the mornings with an overall Ache in my limbs that is similar, but different, and what I've been lying on hurts, which in the case of my usual "relief posture" seems more the fronts of one leg and one arm.
Whilst when I walk, the Ache is mainly in my legs, starts after 1-2 minutes and continues for quite a time afterwards. But I can get a bit of relief pausing every few minutes. And I get local pains in my elbows and knees. However while cycling I don't feel the Ache while doing so, it surges in when I stop; and my local pains are more in my wrists & I think my tailbone, my knees only if I cycle for a long time on a lower saddle. But I spose in both walking and cycling from the tendon insertion points around my joints, almost always the issue of my local pains.

Which brings me to the questions if your arms hurt while walking, or when, if what you describe as "tops/fronts" is more around the joints (tendons). My arms used to hurt quite a bit from using them overhead or with kitchen work, so I had to pause regularly, but that has got better.

Now I've got quite a bit of my physical energy back since 1 week, I'm curious how well I can now walk.

Reactions: Nan
Maybe it's two different things.
1.Rheumatic problems.
2.Venous insuffteincy on the lower limb.
Senior

Have you talked to your doctor about this?

It's true that fibromyalgia has a lot of weird pains. Make sure you see a doctor to check your back, and ofcourse your leg and arm pain.

I'm the same with walking, can walk for a bit, start getting sore and need to briefly stop than continue. I've also experienced severe coldness between my knees to my feet where the rest of my body is either comfortable or hot....go figure.

I'm the same with walking, can walk for a bit, start getting sore and need to briefly stop than continue.
I've been able to walk more continuously recently, and little local pains, I spose got them all down.
But in a flare from a uro exam at the moment we went for a "cycle walk" just now and the thuds of each step gave me a belly ache, cycling was OK, just everything hurts anyway.
I've also experienced severe coldness between my knees to my feet where the rest of my body is either comfortable or hot....go figure.
Raynauld's? And/or other circulatory issues?
I get that mainly in my feet, at least that's where it's a big problem, so 3-5 pairs of socks.
(My wife has the opposite, often hot hands and feet, I'd love to know what from. Great to warm up from.)

Hi JayCS
The soreness and coldness in my calves are a new symptom, within the last 6--12 months. I have multiple health problems as I have now been waiting 18 + months to see a neurologist in Ontario Canada to confirm if I have MS and now just finding out a need to see a neuro-ophthalmologist as I have many eye problems. For some reason after having two partial knee replacements 17 years ago I'm unable to ride a bike, hurts too much. oops ya too many health problems and continue to get worse.

The soreness and coldness in my calves are a new symptom, within the last 6--12 months. ... if I have MS and ... neuro-ophthalmologist as I have many eye problems. ... two partial knee replacements 17 years ago I'm unable to ride a bike, hurts too much. oops ya too many health problems and continue to get worse.
Oh dear, that's a lot. Me similar with "6-7" chronic conditions - incurable, under control except fatigue. New stuff this year, difficulty getting cancer excluded, but trying now. MS excluded early on with a spinal tap. So your calves will be your least worry, but do still sound like circulation/vessels - and/or nerves...

Fibromyalgia is a long-lasting disorder that causes pain throughout the body and also I think people with this disorder are highly sensitive to pain . Headache , Stiffness , Fatigue are also some of the main symptoms of Fibromyalgia . Let me tell you one thing: Fibromyalgia is something complex and cannot be fully understood . If your above mentioned symptoms get worse I suggest you to consult a doctor why I am saying this because my uncle has a similar situation like this and he was consulting a physiotherapist and guys include him also in your prayers.

Fibromyalgia is a long-lasting disorder that causes pain throughout the body and also I think people with this disorder are highly sensitive to pain . Headache , Stiffness , Fatigue are also some of the main symptoms of Fibromyalgia . Let me tell you one thing: Fibromyalgia is something complex and cannot be fully understood . If your above mentioned symptoms get worse I suggest you to consult a doctor why I am saying this because my uncle has a similar situation like this and he was consulting a physiotherapist and guys include him also in your prayers.
One thing I will strongly disagree with you on, Mape, and that is your statement that people with fibromyalgia are highly sensitive to pain. This is simply not true as a blanket statement. Some people with fibro have low pain thresholds, some have high, just like everyone else in the human population. Fibromyalgia doesn't only appear in people who are "highly sensitive to pain", it appears in every kind of person.

I have always had a very high pain threshold, and I do not find that having fibromyalgia in any way increased my sensitivity to pain. In fact, on the days when I am not plagued by a flare, my pain threshold remains just as high as it ever was. It is only on really bad days that even bumping into something will cause pain that is entirely disproportionate to the level on contact that was made. This doesn't indicate anything about my general pain tolerance or sensitivity.

As for whether or not it "cannot be fully understood", well, it is not understood now. But millions of things were not understood.....until they were. And if there is sufficient research done, there is no reason to believe that fibromyalgia won't be understood one day.

Hi Mape - sorry, I haven't understood much of what you're saying here. To try to understand I've had a look at your previous 4 posts, which are all sound in every way, altho I'm now wondering what your background is re. fibro, and why you feel the need to say "let me tell you one thing" as if doni didn't know that. Apart from the tone, it to me seems topsy-turvy looking at doni's background (= well-read).
I'd contend that the symptoms doni describes are far too particular for any doctors to understand or help with, if at all specialized physiotherapists, or rather manual therapists will. I'm wondering in which way the situation of your uncle was/is similar. And why you think any doctor could have helped him, if so which speciality, and why you think consulting(?) a physiotherapist wouldn't help. Same goes for why you think that applies to doni's symptoms.
Like sunkacola I'm not highly sensitive to pain either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back