Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/1992
Country
CA
State
ON
Good evening, everyone (at least in my neck of the woods, lol). I hope you are having a reasonably good day.

I just wanted to share the name of a book I borrowed from the library _Toxic: Heal Your Body from Mold Toxicity, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and Chronic Environmental Illness, by Neil Nathan, MD. He's Board certified in Family Practice and Pain management; has been practicing medicine for 40 years "primarily with patients who had not received a diagnoisis from conventional medical sources, and especially with patients whose illness has made them unusually sensitive and toxic."

He talks about symptoms of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, mold toxicity, mast cell activation syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivities and Lyme Disease (from ticks) along with Lyme's associated infections such as Bartonella, Borrelia and Babesia. He describes the new model for chronic illness developed by Dr. Robert Naviaux (cell danger response), and his paper on "Metabolic Features of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" which Dr. Nathan co-authored.

"Dr. Naviaux utilized liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry technology to measure 612 chemical substances in the blood of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and then compared them with age and sex matched controls. ...Of the 612 substances that were examined, CFS patients consistently showed deficiencies in just a few. In fact, looking at just eight of these substances in men and thirteen in women enabled us, for the first time , to diagnose CFS with an accuracy of 94 percent in ment and 96 percent in women."

"The biochemical profile of these deficiencies is different in men than it is in women. While all of the subjects had certain key deficiencies, there were significant differences in which substances were deficient or elevated for 75 percent of these substances. This confirms the often stated premise that we must look at patients individually to undrestand how to threat them. Even though all of them meet the classic definition of CFS, it affects them differently"

"The biochemical substances in which the majority of our CFS patents were found to be deficient ...include abnormalities in the metabolic pathways of phospholipids, sphingolipids, purines, riboflavin, P5P, brached-chain amino acids, cholesterol, mocrobiome, peroxisomal, and biochemical measures of mitochondrial function." (all double Dutch to even doctors reading this book, let alone patients, he admits). "While obviously complicated, all of these changes can be understood as likely representing an adaptive cellular response designed to oppose the sperad of intracellular bacterial and viral infections."

"My intention, however, was simply to introduce you to information and biochemical terms that I anticipate will become commonplace in a fwe years...Dr. Naviaux's lab is poineering the use of metabolomics testing, this process we have been discussing in which 612 different biochemical substances can be measured in a single speciment of blood or urine, and I believe that this study will go a long wawy toward changing the ways in which we evaluate and diagnose patients with chronic illness."

I don't know about you, but this gives me cause for cautious optimism. If it can be done for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it can likely be done for Fibromyalgia. First published in 2018 by V ictory Belt Publishing Inc., Los Vegas.

Back