Recently Diagnosed after very stressful year

tltaylor891

Reason
DX FIBRO
Hello all. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, but just need to vent and get it all out. Since August of 2023 my life has been turned upside down. I've been dealing with caring for my 81 year old mother diagnosed with triple neg breast cancer, my father dying of stage 4 cancer two weeks after diagnosis, grandchild born with heart defect and had to have open heart surgery and then the fun of being over 50! Phew, when I type it out, it's a whole lot.

About 5 months ago I started hurting in different places all over my body. I also deal with hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's and basically thought it was that and my TSH was going up. After bloodwork showed my TSH was actually good, my NP started looking at other things. All the other auto-immune things came back negative, so she diagnosed me with fibro. These are the things I am dealing with now: pain in feet, ankles, legs, hips, shoulders, hands, neck. The pain seems to move around. Right now my right big toe is hurting (uric acid normal) to the point where I am hobbling around. Fatigue, oh the fatigue. Never have been a napper, but lately I could nap everyday if I wasn't working.

I was started on Cymbalta, but I couldn't even keep it down. Now, I am trying gabapentin. Seems to work for most of my pain except the toe. Used to be very active cycling, weight lifting, zumba; now if I try anything I have to recover for several days. Waiting a bit for it to cool down outside (very hot in AZ) and will try walking outside again. I feel like I'm in recovery of some sort from the trauma of the last year. NP says I probably have temporary PTSD from everything. I am a control-freak so not being in control of all those things was hard to deal with. Things are calmed down. Mother in remission and grandchild is doing great, but it's like my body hasn't caught up to reality yet.

I am changing up my eating habits and eliminating sugar and refined carbs. Trying to eliminate red meat, processed meats etc. Taking magnesium daily along with Melatonin at night. Oh I also had a heart attack at age 49, was told was from hereditary factors, but am on all kinds of meds for that! No problems since then.

My husband and I have a really big trip planned for next Spring and I've got to get this pain under control. I am on meds for mild anxiety and take when I feel like my body is starting to ramp up. It seems to do that when I've got nothing happening LOL.

Any way, I just wanted to say hello and I am reading and trying to get all the info I can about fibro and figure out all the ways to handle it! Hopefully I can get this pain under control and enjoy life again! Blessings.

Greetings to you, and glad to see that you are posting here.
We are here to offer support and any good advice we may have. I hope the gabapentin keeps working well for you. But if it doesn't please don't get discouraged; many of us have tried several medications to find one that works and keeps working.

Eating a healthier diet and getting as much exercise as you can really does make a difference, so good for you!
I assume you read my post on advice for managing fibro....if not, I recommend it.

Managing stress and lowering it as much as possible is also very important.

And, remember, we are here to listen.....well, read...........any time you need or want to vent!

Back