Pain & lack of sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally

I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and FND.
My worse symptoms are lack of sleep due to the fact that my body always feels as if it is in a hightened state of anxiety.
This then means I am awake for hours on end and then I struggle with the pain all over my body, its hell!
I also have brain fog which can also cause lots of day to day problems.
I am feeling so depressed and overwhelmed at the moment.
Any good tips to help trying to survive all of this! Thanks so much.

Hi @Ally , and welcome to the forum.

Lack of sleep is, unfortunately, both a symptom of fibromyalgia and one of the things that makes it worse. It feels as though one can't win. I can relate to what you are saying, as can many others here in this forum. And it is overwhelming and depressing, for sure.

What are you able to do from day to day to help yourself? Have you found anything that helps?

I also know the feeling of "body in state of anxiety". Part of that is mental.....it is anxious-producing to be in pain; and part of it is physical - our bodies tend to tense up as a reaction to pain, which of course only makes the pain much worse, but it's pretty hard to relax when you are in pain.

I find that when I am in that state physically, the only thing that helps is to relax my body as much as I can. To practice very consciously whatever I can find that will help to relax my muscles. There are a lot of techniques for this that you might want to explore if you have not already. Doing everything you can to reduce stress in your life is also helpful.

Another thing you can do for yourself is start an exploration of all the various things you might be able to change in your daily life that could possibly help you to feel better. The better your overall health is, the better you will feel mentally and physically, and while there's no known cure for fibromyalgia there are many things that people have found that help. I wrote a post about this, and recommend you take a look at it for tips on how to manage this.
And, ask any questions you may have; we are here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back