Fibromyalgia likely the result of autoimmune problems

I totally agree with you I suffered with ulcerative colitis for years until I had an operation to remove my colon. When I had a flare up with the colitis I used to get mouth ulcers. Now when I get a flare up with fibromyalgia I also get mouth ulcers. I told the doctor about my findings and he dismissed it.

It is unthinkable to me (I am angry) that in the 21st century we still do not have clear diagnostic biological markers for rheumatic diseases. With any disease, the biochemistry in the body changes, it can be recorded. The tests show whether there is an inflammatory process. Why does everything need to be complicated by symptoms?
There is systemic inflammation (blood), and local inflammation (subcutaneous fat layer, muscles, joints, nerve endings). These are all different types of tissue, different cells. They took a subcutaneous biopsy and in conclusion there is no inflammation, but it is deeper, for example in the joints or muscle tissue. There was an outbreak, while the person waited for the doctor, came for an appointment a week later, everything in the tests was no inflammation. So diagnostic measures are difficult.

Hi @BrendaNY! Wow, you got diagnosed with all of them the same time!? how do you manage with all those!?, I have only fibro and that's annoying enough, (well that and autoimmune thyroid but I'm not sure if it plays a hand in my fatigue and neuropathy pain) a few on the forum have suffered with sjogren's, anyway welcome to our forum 🥂🧁, (I hope you find it a nice place to chat about your symptoms or just anything! 😊)

Much the same @BrendaNY I have fibromyalgia and inflammatory arthritis ( and osteo, raynauds, underactive thyroid - the list goes on 😠 ) I definitely am attempting to untangle what symptom / pain comes from what condition. Purely now because I want to know what treatment or medication will actually help, and then it's a case of what I ' will be left with '.

Began treatment for the inflammatory arthritis last week, which can take a while to kick in and stabilise , but with some symptoms having a crossover factor, I am wondering how I know these meds are doing a full job. Time will tell.

No I had been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 10 years ago, I lived with the condition for 6 years and finally I couldn't take any more flare ups. It was affecting my life too much I had to put a porta loo in my van just to be able to work. Finally i had an operation to remove my colon now 3 years on I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I think that my body just likes fighting with itself.

In practical, real-life application, what does this all mean for us? Like @JayCS states, paraphrasing, "more research needed?" I wish I could say that I was hopeful that there will be an effective treatment or cure coming soon, but not so. I see and hear about studies like these all the time for many diseases, and it's always "more research needs to be done." For example, I have an incurable infectious disease for which I used to follow the research closely for decades, but gave up following years ago because, for example, for 15 years I was hearing "we're close to" finding a cure or a major breakthrough. In medical research it seems that "close" equates to many decades, in some cases a lifetime. Do I sound negative and pessimistic? Heck yeah I do! I'm frustrated and pissed that we spend billions and billions of dollars on weapons and tax cuts for the wealthy, etc, and piddly squat on important medical research that could improve the life quality of millions or even billions worldwide. Guess I should have posted this in the 'Moan and Vent' forum. ROFL :ROFLMAO:

Well said @JamieMarc, I'd guess the spending on medical science is a drop in the ocean compared to the likes of military spending. It's sad to think research on disease often seems to rely on donation. A concerted effort to combat diseases could potentially change a great number of lives and pay back into economies. I don't expect a cure or effective treatment in my lifetime, but would it would be a nice surprise. In the meantime I shall endeavour to accept it and find some balance. Weed and whiskey would be nice though....

Interestingly enough, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months ago. Recently, I was tested and showed high results. Idk fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disease. Even though fibromyalgia is awful I’m a bit relieved it’s likely my only autoimmune disease.

Interestingly enough, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few months ago. Recently, I was tested and showed high results. Idk fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disease. Even though fibromyalgia is awful I’m a bit relieved it’s likely my only autoimmune disease.
Just want to mention that at this point there is no scientific proof or consensus within the medical research communities that fibromyalgia actually is an autoimmune condition. Some think that it is and there is some evidence that points in that direction, but it has not been proven as yet, and much more research is still needed. Any announcements that indicate that it has been decided that it is an autoimmune condition are premature.

Back