Pedro

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2024
Country
UK
Hi everyone,

I am a 39 yo man and I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but I am not fully convinced. Like many, I fear it could be something more worrying (not saying that fibromyalgia is fun!), so I wanted to hear what this community things and whether what I'm having resonates with some of you.

My symptoms started around January 2024, with a "globus" sensation in the right side of my throat. This remained stable for 3-4 months, during which I was examined by GPs and ETC who inspected the areas through laryngoscopy and noted nothing wrong, hence he diagnosed harmless globus pharyngeus.

Unfortunately, soon after, around April 2024, I started developing strange pain. At first it was localised in my neck/throat and then soon moved to my right ear and teeth. It was intermittent pain, worse on some days and better in others. After a little longer, the pain spread to my right arm/hand (particularly the top of my fingers) and behind my shoulder. For some weeks I had very bad muscle pain there, which felt like a contracture and prevented me from moving my neck without massive pain. This lasted for ~1 month, and then went away, coming back occasionally with much reduced intensity. A little later, around May or June, the intermittent pain reached my right foot and hip and soon after it started affecting the left side of my body as well, in a similar pattern ("globus" sensation now both left and right, pain in arm, leg, hand, feet, shoulder etc). Currently the pain is quite symmetric, albeit a little worse on the right (particularly the right foot as the left foot is not really painful).
It oscillates over periods of days - it is quite low (or even absent) for a few days, before getting stronger again for a few days and then improving. It's not always everywhere - sometimes it is stronger in the arms, other times more in the shoulders or in the ears.
The strongest pain I have experienced coincided (maybe just a coincidence), with the weather getting suddenly worse last week. On that day, I woke up with strong lower back pain and pain in the arms and legs, and I struggled to get up and get moving. It improved over the next day or two, as occurred previously.
It happens quite regularly that I experience back stiffness when I wake up, but it has never been nearly as bad.

I have heard about fibromyalgia painful spots. I don't have many, but there are two symmetric areas in my forearms, close to the elbows, that often hurt if pressed. As for the other symptoms, the intensity of the pressure-induced pain oscillates over a period of a few days. I don't see a physical reason why those particular muscles should hurt.
I have also noted that there are symmetric sore spots on the sides of my chest, just under the armpits.

Scaringly, since June I have started experiencing (or noticed) muscle twitching. It happens virtually in evey muscle, including calves, tights, arms, neck, abs, chest, back, lips and eyes. It is mostly one or two small twitches rather than continuous, with the exception that my left pectoral muscle twitched pretty much continuously for a few days last week. These also tend to vary in frequency from one day to the next.
I have also had a strange buzzing sensation in my leg for a few days, almost like the feeling of being in contact with a cat purring, but it has since gone away.

Finally, I have developed these strange sensations in my right foot and the left side of my face (mostly my chin). It's not pain nor numbness but a sort of "awareness" that these body parts exist, resulting in an uneasy/uncomfortable sensation. As for all other symptoms also these come and go.

I don't have weakness or fatigue, although some months ago I experienced some days where I felt really unwell, almost with flu-like symptoms (without actually having any of the typical flu signs, like fever). I do physical activity (running, rowing machine, walking) and I am quite active. My symptoms don't seem to affect noticeably my ability to do sports.

I have seen many doctors (GP many times, ENT, Neurologist) and done a lot of testing: all sensible blood tests (including antibodies for autoimmune disease), various MRIs (neck, spine, brain), chest CT scan and an EMG. All tests and all physical examinations were negative and no organic cause for my symptoms could be identified. At my latest appointment with the neurologist, he mentioned that he thinks I have fibromyalgia and/or psychosomatic symptoms caused by anxiety. I have been given amitriptyline, which I am taking daily but I'm not sure if this is having an effect.

I am worried about the prospect of this being fibromyalgia, as I understand this is a lifelong condition, but I'm even more worried about this being something terrifying like ALS, given the muscle twitching.

I was wondering if these symptoms resonate with your experience of fibromyalgia, particularly the less standard ones like muscle twitching, strange sensation and pain in the ears/teeth? I should also say that I suffer from health anxiety, for which I am seeing a therapist (not helping much though).

Sorry for the very long post, but I was trying to be as detailed as possible.

Any feedback would be amazing.

Thanks a lot!

Hi there.......and no need to apologize for a long post. Write all you want to, and we will read it and respond.

If you have been thoroughly tested for everything else that causes the symptoms that are similar to fibromyalgia and everything came back clear, then fibro is most likely what you have.

As you read posts on this forum you will discover that there are dozens of different symptoms associated with fibro, and people have various combinations of them, so there's no way that any of us can say a person has or doesn't have fibro from the listing of symptoms, since for each person it is different.

If you think you may have ALS, then ask your doctor to test you specifically for that.

Fibro is......at least at this point.....a lifelong condition since there's no cure....yet. But it can be managed with a combination of various things that are all directed towards getting your body as healthy as possible, and by taking certain medications and/or supplements IF you find that they are necessary or helpful to you.

Eating the most healthy diet you possibly can manage, getting regular exercise, keeping good mental health, avoiding stress......all of these things will help. Check out the post pinned at the top of the General forum for a lot of suggestions on that.
And welcome to the forum. I hope we can help.

Hi @Pedro

Welcome to the forums :)

As @sunkacola said, there are loads of symptoms, and no one has all of them. Spend some time delving into the threads, even the older ones on previous pages, never know what you may discover ;)

I cannot be much help but i do get intermittent pain in my left ear for no apparent reason. I do also get muscle twitching or fasiculation as its known mainly in the small muscle between my thumb and fore finger. It comes and goes and when it happens you can see the muscle jump
Thats been happening for the last ten years and I'm still here lol. The neurologist would have looked at Als when you saw him.
try not to use Dr Google in my experience it tells me i have all manner of fatal diseases and i feel worse.
I find if i go out in the fresh air and sun i feel better. Dwelling on my aches and pains which no one else seems to have doesn't help me.
Sometimes doing things for someone less fortunate can take your mind off yourself and help no end.
I hope things get easier for you , regards Paul

try not to use Dr Google in my experience it tells me i have all manner of fatal diseases and i feel worse.
I find if i go out in the fresh air and sun i feel better. Dwelling on my aches and pains which no one else seems to have doesn't help me.
Sometimes doing things for someone less fortunate can take your mind off yourself and help no end.
All good advice for all of us to heed.

@sunkacola @pgf54

Hi, I would comment re Dr G, I only go to reputable sites, like Mayo and a couple of the government health sites.

It's very wise to avoid the "new wives tales", as most are just as helpful as old fashioned medicine water. I'm cautious when I search online. I was hesitant about this site, but pleased I settled with it being genuine :D :D 🤗 🤗

@sunkacola @pgf54

Hi, I would comment re Dr G, I only go to reputable sites, like Mayo and a couple of the government health sites.

It's very wise to avoid the "new wives tales", as most are just as helpful as old fashioned medicine water. I'm cautious when I search online. I was hesitant about this site, but pleased I settled with it being genuine :D :D 🤗 🤗
Yes, I always advise being Very cautious with what you read on the internet. Especially as now there are many people who deliberately put false information out there about anything you can imagine. Only trusted sources should be used, and you have to vet the source to make sure it's not a fake version of the source or a place that is just pretending to be real. So much is not computer generated by AI and it's not even real on any level.

We certainly try to remain a genuine online community here, dedicated to helping each other and keeping things real and to making sure that we are cautious about what information we put on the site. That's why I sometimes will respond to a post by modifying what someone says....like to remind us that we all have different reactions to medications. One medication ruins one person's life while the same one is credited with saving the life of another, so we always have to keep that in mind. Makes things tricky for people to navigate at times.

Yes, I always advise being Very cautious with what you read on the internet.
especially with the new AI features - I used to be on a sheep list with mainly US sheep breeders and my advice there was - the sheep breeder with the biggest book on sheep diseases will have the highest number of sick sheep- this applies just as well as for google the new AI feature is just google on overdrive.

best to ask some one on say a fibromyalgia forum - to me it does not sound like fibromyalgia you most probably need to see a neurologist

Back