Can’t stay awake..

Thank you @SBee
I take d-ribose powder (an essential component of ATP, and occurs naturally in the body), which does help me. I am increasing my dose to 10g starting today.

I agree with you. As you described it, I could not take the dextro tablets. I think that would be a disastrous mistake for me personally.

Basically causing your glucose level to spike by drinking cola or taking tablets of glucose like the dextro can actually be damaging for the body. As said above, I agree that everyone needs to make their own choices with regard to this and I'd never pass judgement on anyone for doing what they need to do to get through the day with fibro. But I wouldn't ever recommend something like this because using it regularly will be likely to lead to other problems. I know for me, and I believe for most people, it would lead inevitably to a massive blood sugar crash which could be dangerous.

Strangely @sunkacola and @JamieMarc or maybe not so strange, when I first had chronic fatigue some 30+ years ago, I lost any ability to tolerate higher stimulating foods and drinks. So caffeine basically a huge no, alcohol is out, and no ahem, sweet smelling roll ups. Body just freaked out so I basically stopped them.

I think it's back to my old friend Balance - so I avoid stimulants in food and drink to avoid the massive highs then crashes.

But as you say we certainly are all individual and as such our tolerances differ to. It's a choice thing always.

Be careful with magnesium supplements. If you have compromised, inefficiently functioning kidneys it could be counterproductive. One of the warnings I read on magnesium tablet bottles is not to take if you have kidney problems. Now I know why. I had the results back from my blood work and among other things (creatinine-albumin ratio, alanine aminotransferase (a liver enzyme), my magnesium level is high. I thought, well that's good, isn't it? So I did an Internet search and found out that no, not if it leaks into the kidneys and the blood; it should be going to the organs/bones that need it. So it looks like minerals are not metabolized and directed to the areas of the body most needed if you have kidney disease.

Not something that I would use. Basically @JamieMarc they are a sugar, made from rice\corn etc that's is identical to glucose.

For me, it's kind of a very quick fix of ' false ' energy - but I think it would lead to a subsequent huge crash in energy. Like I would never touch the Red Bull type of energy drink? But it's an individual's choice as to what to use and what works for them.
Just not for me 😁
They do help with the terrible fatigue I get.dont think they’re terribly bad for you they just give u a lift when you’re feeling knackered all the time

A lot of us here have felt that way birdlady, (it's so horrible, like a hangover) when I get like mine I feel too awake to go to sleep and too tired to be properly alert (it's like a strange in-between state) sometimes I could be having an ok ish pain day and then get slapped in the face with all my energy taken away,. I don't think we have proper rem sleep (you can have a good few hour's sleep and STILL feel like you've not slept for days)
🌻🐣🌻

Last edited:
A lot of us here have felt that way birdlady, (it's so horrible, like a hangover) when I get like mine I feel too awake to go to sleep and too tired to be properly alert (it's like a strange in-between state) sometimes I could be having an ok ish pain day and then get slapped in the face with all my energy taken away,. I don't think we have proper rem sleep (you can have a good few hour's sleep and STILL feel like you've not slept for days)
🌻🐣🌻
I suffer with sleep apnoea on top so it really cripples me.i can be sat watching tele and nod off sat up.its crazy.it just comes up on you within seconds and you either fight it or lay down and sleep.its just another side effect of fybro.but how can you hold a job down when a few hours into the morning you feel like you haven’t slept?I’ve tried vitamins,energy tablets and my body won’t have it.it just switches off.if i do something to keep me busy i just feel worse later and it wipes me out

I know @Ian waxman it's a horrible thing) I found out something lately too!, someone told me the people doing assessments (Pip) get bonuses for failing them) it makes sense now why they use the most ridiculous reason's for us being "ok" I remember once I was told to stand (and my leg's buckled) the lady said oh that was gonna be the next question, if you bend your knees? So I'm going to tick yes (I was thinking what???.)
Have you had any thyroid tests lately?(I remember I was falling asleep all the time a few years ago, I was undiagnosed autoimmune thyroid) if you're sleeping quick they should give you some blood test , what causes sleep apnoea? (Ps hope you're having an ok day)
💜💙🩵

I know @Ian waxman it's a horrible thing) I found out something lately too!, someone told me the people doing assessments (Pip) get bonuses for failing them) it makes sense now why they use the most ridiculous reason's for us being "ok" I remember once I was told to stand (and my leg's buckled) the lady said oh that was gonna be the next question, if you bend your knees? So I'm going to tick yes (I was thinking what???.)
Have you had any thyroid tests lately?(I remember I was falling asleep all the time a few years ago, I was undiagnosed autoimmune thyroid) if you're sleeping quick they should give you some blood test , what causes sleep apnoea? (Ps hope you're having an ok day)
💜💙🩵
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when my wife noticed I was snoring heavy and I was stopping breathing.you have to fill a tick box form and they basically said I had sleep apnoea.i was waking up with violent headaches that basically lasted all day.i haven’t been checked for thyroid might get in touch with doctor thankyou.i’ve had fybro 25 years and tried everything.in fact the doctors wont issue me any more strong meds,but they have’nt got it have they??i have had a full blood count so I presume alls ok?I’ve never got rid of the all over body pain and if i overdo it it wipes me out.pip assessments are a nightmare,you’ve really got to write it down and make sure you don’t sound cheerful,as if we are?its just a day to day battle and it’s never relented.plus i was in the building trade for 35 years so that didn’t help.take care and if u want to chat that’s fine.it does you good to tell people how your feeling xx

I feel you @Birdlady10 💗

I also struggle with extreme fatigue and sometimes feel it's because you are constantly battling the never ending pain 😖

It's so difficult to look after yourself when you feel this way - I try my best to at least have some sort of healthy breakfast so that sets me up for the day and try to keep myself occupied with little things to look forward to in the day - sometimes I sit in bed and give myself a pamper session 🤣 maybe a nice cleanser on your face or a face mask, also makes you feel a bit more refreshed 💗 and then in turn you feel a little better 💓 sending love 😘

I feel you @Birdlady10 💗

I also struggle with extreme fatigue and sometimes feel it's because you are constantly battling the never ending pain 😖

It's so difficult to look after yourself when you feel this way - I try my best to at least have some sort of healthy breakfast so that sets me up for the day and try to keep myself occupied with little things to look forward to in the day - sometimes I sit in bed and give myself a pamper session 🤣 maybe a nice cleanser on your face or a face mask, also makes you feel a bit more refreshed 💗 and then in turn you feel a little better 💓 sending love 😘
U do whatever makes you happy.people think what’s up with u?why can’t u walk round a lake?do this do that.the sheer fact is we just haven’t got the energy.when pain and ibs hits u together your crippled and actually doing anything is a major task that’s going to flatten you.take care xx

I'm in the same boat right now @Ian waxman (they won't increase my gabapentin, and you're right they don't have it) I was getting the full blood counts for years yet no thyroid issued showed up until they did something called a reverse blood test for thyroid (and it showed up as autoimmune hypothyroid) I knew someone once who had sleep apnoea (they had an oxygen tank by their bed) Wow being in the building trade with fibro must've been brutal, yes it's good to chat (Thankyou @Dooi for making the forum for us) You take care too! 💙🫂💙

Last edited:
@Ian waxman
What are dextro tablets?
Vitamin c and glucose.there about 90p
I'm in the same boat right now @Ian waxman (they won't increase my gabapentin, and you're right they don't have it) I was getting the full blood counts for years yet no thyroid issued showed up until they did something called a reverse blood test for thyroid (and it showed up as autoimmune hypothyroid) I knew someone once who had sleep apnoea (they had an oxygen tank by their bed) Wow being in the building trade with fibro must've been brutal, yes it's good to chat (Thankyou @Dooi for making the forum for us) You take care too! 💙🫂💙
i was a plasterer for 25 years.tbh I don’t think they’ve done enough tests on me.i’ve had full blood counts.i do suffer with high blood pressure that runs in the family.but I’ve always had fybro for as long as i remember.i was always gobbling ibuprofen and tramadol.but i was working and by dinner i was tired out.just didn’t want to pick the trowel up.i’ve been numerous times to the pain clinic they just wanted me off strong pain patches.easier said than done.i am overweight and spent most of my life battling my weight.so thyroid could be a cause?doctors just don’t care.they haven’t a clue about fybro.numerous times I’ve been sat there and they’ve been looking in their book.they basically think I’m just a pain now but I really don’t think the’ve sent me for enough tests.i’m going to get in touch next week and ask for a thyroid test.thankyou and take care xx

Back