Lost PIP appeal

PinkPJs

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2023
Country
UK
I have been declined PIP. They have said that my symptoms of dizziness and shaking, according to their GP, is not related to M.E/FM. I also struggle with remembering details of my daily life due to memory issues, and because I haven’t been a good ’historian’ they have assessed that my symptoms are not bad and that I am able to manage day to day.
I have gone to court which again I lost and am now sitting with their statement of reasons, which I can appeal. I don’t know what to do.

All you can do is appeal.
This time, document everything obsessively and in detail.
See if you can find someone -- anyone -- to help you with the process.
In the US we have Legal Aid in many places, don't know what's available in the UK.
Best of luck. Maybe others here who are in the UK can chime in and offer good suggestions.

Thanks. It's things like how frequently I can shower, and how frequently I go to the shop. On one occasion, i said 2 times a week, on another i said 3 times a week, then another occasion i said once a week, but it varies so much and I'm trying to be honest at the time. They figure that if I can drive a manual car, then I have the dexterity to cut up food. But I have city control on my steering which makes it lighter, and on bad days I don't drive. They also say that shaking and dizziness is nothing to do with ME/CFS. I guess I need to argue it and be as consistent and expressive as possible, which is not easy when battling with a chronic illness.

Hi @PinkPJs
Can I suggest you contact FMA UK, a fibromyalgia action group. There have contact telephone numbers - you speak to a real person - including one specifically for a benefits helpline.

They may be able to offer some advice, or who to turn to in order to push your claim further.

Citizens Advice would be worth contacting too if you haven't already done so. I understand they can be very helpful including in some cases helping you to write your claim application.

I wish you well on this

Hi, I had CAB but then moved home. It was a lengthy move due to personal circumstances, so for a long while I was between homes. My case was transferred after a while and so I had a new date for the new area, which was postponed. I spoke to a new CAB as I'd moved area and they were unable to provide anyone for the hearing. I will be making contact with them on Monday. I have also emailed the ME Association to see if they can help. Many thanks for your reply and suggestions x

Quite a few years ago, I was told that I had to apply for SSI, which is disability in the USA. I qualified for Vocational Rehabilitation assistance through the State, to go back to school for retraining, since I was no longer able to work on my feet, due to the fibro. I went on to get my Master's degree eventually. Well one of the steps was that I had to apply for SSI, which is Federal. This was required. I was sent to qualify for SSI, due to Fibromyalgia, to a doctor that flat out told me that he did not believe in Fibromyalgia. Needless to say, I did not qualify for it, or have ever gotten SSI. Most cases here regarding SSI, take several years. I went on through school anyway. Not all doctors are smart. Good luck dear.

Thanks. It's things like how frequently I can shower, and how frequently I go to the shop. On one occasion, i said 2 times a week, on another i said 3 times a week, then another occasion i said once a week, but it varies so much and I'm trying to be honest at the time. They figure that if I can drive a manual car, then I have the dexterity to cut up food. But I have city control on my steering which makes it lighter, and on bad days I don't drive. They also say that shaking and dizziness is nothing to do with ME/CFS. I guess I need to argue it and be as consistent and expressive as possible, which is not easy when battling with a chronic illness.
If you can drive,shower,walk down the street you’re basically telling them you’re functioning.they scrutinise what you put and basically to them your functioning without aid.i.e a relative or friend.theyre ruthless.i hope you win the fight but their a tough nut to crack once you’ve documented it.keep fighting👍👍

Back