Rainbow

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2010
Country
UK
I've got a new challenge to try & deal with now which is an inability to keep my body heat combined with an inability to get warmed-up again when I do.

This is happening alongside a tendency to overheat in a heated environment or in summer high temperatures.

Am not sure if this is yet another symptom of Fibromyalgia, or a separate thing altogether, or simply my advancing age.

Does anyone else on here have similar issues with this?

I doubt that this has any thing to do with fibromyalgia. May be you should have your thyroid checked

Yes, I can relate. Warm moist heat is the best way I can try to start warming up. Think rice bag in the microwave kind of heat. Showers work well, but then I get in a hot cold cycle and 12 showers later.

I have an amazing heater in my bedroom. It is temp controlled, so I can set the temp I want to maintain in the room and it kicks on keeping a nice consistent temperature. It also has a cool fan too.

I do have hashimoto (autoimmune low thyroid) so am a bit more sensitive to temperature likely.

I always have a sweater or scarf when going out to put on even in the summer (I live in Florida where the AC is cranked way down) and if I can select where I'm standing or sitting, it isn't under a vent. Keeping my neck warm does help so I don't get to that deep chill that if feels like you'll never warm up.

I find the back of my neck is a good way to cool down too if I get too hot. Cool washcloth on the back of the neck. Dry well after, because you don't want to catch a chill on your neck and end the opposite way.

Medications can also have a big impact in cold, cold intolerance, and heat intolerance.

So long story short, for me, it's a lot about the back of the neck.

Yes 100%, but I also have hypothyroid autoimmune (so I'm not sure if that's a contributing factor) but yes even in hot weather I'm still cold to the touch (corpse bride 😂) I dunno I've also got a thing where it takes longer to heal from things, operations (cuts and scrapes, not sure if that's a fibro or thyroid thing???) 🌟🧁🌟

I've got a new challenge to try & deal with now which is an inability to keep my body heat combined with an inability to get warmed-up again when I do.

This is happening alongside a tendency to overheat in a heated environment or in summer high temperatures.

Am not sure if this is yet another symptom of Fibromyalgia, or a separate thing altogether, or simply my advancing age.

Any time that something new starts up, you need to consult with your doctor about it. We have a tendency to think that ev erything is related to or caused by fibromyalgia, because there are so many varied symptoms we know are caused by the fibro. But it could just as easily be something else, and you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't go to your doctor and find out. There are other syndromes and conditions that can cause this, and you may have one of them that can be successfully treated. Get an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can, and find out.
(Even if other people with fibro have this same symptom, it doesn't mean that yours (or even theirs) is necessarily caused by fibromyalgia.)

Here in England 'Seeing the doctor' can be a challenge in itself, unless you have the money to be a 'Private Patient' of course.

inability to keep my body heat combined with an inability to get warmed-up again when I do.
Cold used to be a big trigger for my fibro pain, and wind still is (so avoid any wind, AC etc. for more than 15'). Raynaud's doesn't help...
When I have let myself get cold it took up to 8 hours to get warm again. The solution was never to let myself get too "cold".
My lips are often white after strain, my cardio says bad circulation, but we think it's something underlying.

Not sure if you're already doing what I do to keep warm:
As I hardly tolerate synthetics, I have 5 pairs of socks and longjohns on 24/7 most of the year, and 2 loop scarves about half the year. Some of my shoes have grown with the amount of socks, some I buy bigger.
When I sit outdoors in the winter for longer, I often take a hot water bottle with me, also inside, as I don't like the heat of electric stuff. Feet are the loophole that need to be kept warm most.

The thyroid route didn't help me, slightly on the low side, hypo/Hashimoto's suspected, then excluded. Taking levo-thyroxine just in case contributed to making me lose my appetite, so I had to stop after a month, altho it was good for energy.

Don't think I can handle yet another Diagnosis.
I can understand your feeling that way. Sometimes it just feels like TOO much.

BUT, go see the doctor. "Handling another diagnosis" doesn't have to be a bad thing.
If, for instance, your thyroid is acting up, that is very easily treated with medication. You can feel better. So having another diagnosis is not always a bad thing. Don't work against yourself by refusing to see a doctor just because you don't want to receive another diagnosis.

Sweating and increased sensitivity can indeed be a symptom of fibromyalgia. But it can also be a sign of something else. I, too, have irregular sensitivity to Hot and Cold. I cope with being cold by adding layers of clothing, turning on a space heater or using one of my heating pads. I often have night sweats, but since I started wearing long sleeved, long legging, compression, wicking sleepwear I have found the night sweats have gone away. Or perhaps gone away is not the right word, but the solution works for me.
As someone else said, I suggest you bring it up with your doctor and have a discussion about it. Again, it can be a sign of multiple things.

I have heat intolerance due to Hashimoto's disease I used to love the heat bit now cannot tolerate it and thus have ac etc to cool the house down to about 20 degrees absolutely love getting into the car and turning the ac on - cold does not seem to affect my fibro

Quite the opposite with me @johnsalmon
The cold does affect my fibromyalgia and increases my stiffness, so to speak. Whereas the heat bothers me little, at least during the day. I think some of it has to do with where in the world we were acclimated. Being a native Floridian, the 4th generation of eight, I have high heat tolerance. In the winter right now, the snowbirds who come down are wearing shorts sometimes on cold days when I am bundled up in long pants, a hoodie or puffer jacket, gloves and earmuffs. LOL. 😂

I bought some ear muffs other day @JamieMarc (they're fluffy pink and well cute) it's cold where we are right now (causing me some flaire ups🙄) pretty sure next few week's ll bring snow, come and make a snow man with me everyone! ⛄🎿

Last edited:
@Auriel I'll bet they are cute. Send us a pic. 😂😍
Yeah, the cold really does a number on my FMS too. For the few months that we have winter here, I'm like a hibernating bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back