RobertTS

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2023
Country
IE
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a perk for light workouts, without falling into the caffeine trap?

A few months back when at the gym, I found a sudden surge of energy that enabled me to power through extensive sprints and muscle work, as if my fibro fatigue were being completely overriden. Alas, it didn't last and the following day I was exhausted. In retrospect I attribute this to a combination of my SSRIs, alcohol in my system (I'd had a glass of wine the night before) plus a cup of coffee that morning producing a surge of cortisol. It was like a surge of the energy I used to feel in my pre-fibro days.

Anyway, I'm just wondering: does anybody else use something to get an energy boost to enable them to exercise?

@RobertTS I hope someone can suggest something that can be used safely to help you with a decent workout. Unfortunately the chronic fatigue is a huge part of my fibro so slow exercise with lots of rest is the only thing that works for me, other wise an am soon in the Boom and Bust situation. Then I am out of action for a coup l of days.
Be interesting to see if anyone can help you with this.

Anyway, I'm just wondering: does anybody else use something to get an energy boost to enable them to exercise?
My best suggestion would be something light but high in carbs, such as a fruit smoothie or a veggie smoothie for example. Typically, the best thing before a workout are carbs and after a workout protein and of course hydration. Just don't do any heavy carbs because that's just going to weigh you down, and don't do too much because that will also weigh you down.
My personal go to would be getting out my smoothie blender, throwing in some almond milk, perhaps a spoonful of yogurt, lots of frozen fruit. I like to keep it simple, so I don't put a whole bunch of ingredients in my smoothies. Sometimes for fun I'll add some peanut butter or cocoa powder or vanilla extract. Just depends on my mood.

Back