Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/1994
Country
US
State
AL
I am full-time caregiver for my elderly mom who suffers multiple serious health problems which have also affected her cognition.
She is bedridden, unable to stand to pivot into a wheelchair, unable to leave the house for physician appointments and trapped in an upstairs bedroom in a hospital bed.
I have had fibromyalgia since early 1994. Thankfully, it is not as severe as it was in the early years. It is still a challenge to care for someone sicker than I on a constant basis. My time and work load seem maxed out and no, I cannot afford to hire help and have no income except my elderly mom's bit which we get by on.
Have any of you found yourself in this boat? How do you cope and would you care to communicate?

Hi, I am sorry to hear of the stressful situation that you find yourself in. I was in a similar one until my mother passed Aug 2019. It is incredibly difficult being the carer when one is also struggling to cope with Fibro. Mine also started in the mid 90's and has been complicated by injuries over the years. My mother suffered with Arthritis and Parkinson's for ten years, so her mobility became worse, putting her at greater risk.

My heart goes out to you trying to cope, I know what is like when your mum can no longer get up or attend appointments. We are often at the mercy of others to help with the more physical tasks and it can be frightening to go without. Looking back I would have asked myself not to be so self critical and to not be afraid of asking for help. As there is only so much one can do, the situation is difficult enough without suffering more than necessary. I'm not familiar with the U.S. system but wonder if there is anyone to speak with regarding options going forward. It's going to be a difficult road ahead but you should not have to do it alone, we do what we can to life the spirits of our loved ones. Take care of yourself

Thank you for your kind reply Badger. My mom and I took care of her mom here in this same house. Grandma died in 2008 at age 99 from Parkinson's disease. Grandma had 2 siblings who died of Alzheimer's. Now it is me with no children caring for my mom. These diseases are scary because we don't always know what to expect and whether or not it is going to happen to us.

Yes it can be worrying to think what we might inherit, my late sister also had Parkinson's and an uncle was diagnosed a few years ago. Fair play to you and your mum caring for grandma, being there for loved ones through difficult time speaks volumes about carers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back