Accepting a diagnosis... Did you feel this way, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessgert

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2023
Hi all,

I am a 25 y/o woman (she/her/hers) diagnosed with fibro by a rheumatologist in mid October. I've been lurking for a while and am finally feeling ready to post.

After receiving this diagnosis, though I had been suspicious for the better half of a year, I was overwhelmed with so many emotions. There was some relief and validation, really just confirmation that my pain is a real thing that other people can understand. I also felt (and still do feel sometimes) hopeless. I feel like I'm too young to hear the word "chronic." I think I had it in my head that this was just a stressful time of my life, and once I got through it, the pain would go away. I'm still having a hard time accepting that I might feel this pain forever.

On another thread, I saw a "veteran" member tell a newcomer that this may not be something to "fight." This really rocked me. I've been so angry at my body for so long. I sometimes feel betrayed by my body. I don't know how to get past it.

What was it like for you when you got the diagnosis? How did you get through those first months? ... did you? Do these feelings go away?

I think that's it for now. Eventually, I want to get to a place where I can make meaningful lifestyle changes, but I might have more emotional processing to do before I can bring myself there.

Thank you. <3

Giving you warm gentle hugs! Welcome to the tribe and working up the nerve to post 🤗 I was diagnosed a few years younger than you are now and I remember a flood of emotions! Happy to FINALLY have a diagnosis, it wasn't all in my head. Relief for a name to call it. Then came the learning. I first focused on how could I wrestle this beast and WIN. What was the fastest, easiest thing to poof make it go away. I wasn't going to let it beat me. I was going to show my body that my mind and determination was stronger. I didn't listen to my body one bit. I pushed myself so hard, I then would have a big crash. I would get mad at my body during the crashes. Angry that it wouldn't just listen to me and do what I wanted it to do. Slowly I've learned to make friends with my fibromyalgia. It is a part of me, and if I wanted to be as successful as possible, I would learn to give my body what it needed. Sometimes that was rest, or stretching, self massage, guided meditation, movement, yoga, food, rest and most importantly love. I needed to learn how to dance with my fibromyalgia and use my energy working with my body, rather than waste it being angry at what it decided to do that day. I had to learn to adapt and move with it, while still maintaining a good quality of life. Once I decided to set down the weight of anger, resentment and fear, I decided to step out of the shadows and no longer sit in my suffering. It took me a long time to learn this and truly be ok with it. You can get caught up in the crashing waves that keep coming right when your getting a breath and be dragged under.... or you can chose to use the power, strength and momentum of the water and waves, and ride those waves in, appreciating the different viewpoint.

On another thread, I saw a "veteran" member tell a newcomer that this may not be something to "fight." This really rocked me. I've been so angry at my body for so long. I sometimes feel betrayed by my body. I don't know how to get past it.

What was it like for you when you got the diagnosis? How did you get through those first months? ... did you? Do these feelings go away?
Hi jessgert, and welcome,
if you're up to reading and haven't found it yet I've written quite a lot here on how to grieve the old life, ending with radical acceptance using the serenity prayer and get started and motivated by embracing the new...
Like any grief process, some of us take longer to live thru the various often alternating or parallel layers, some shorter. Knowing this may help and shorten, but as always with grief it's important to take it seriously and live thru it.

I hope my story isn't too way off for you...??.... But similar to @SweetWithSour's:

Knowing how to grieve did help me, it took a week of a bit of sadness with the semi-expected fibro diagnosis after 3 months of the full flare I'm still in, then a week for a totally unexpected lipid diagnosis, and not at all for my delibitating MCAS-diagnosis, after a lifetime of loads of pain and intolerances, a spinal tumour as another chance finding like the lipid one, then this year a cancer diagnosis not yet completely excluded, a new diagnosis recently caused by a bladder exam injuring me.

I want to be happy and decide to do everything to make myself happy. Which means using things like writing down "reasons to be cheerful" on my daily blog, ACT, mindfulness, choosing my activities and my battles, developing new more appropriate dreams, now I can't enjoy my job or for 2 months now not even listening to music anymore.
An ACT-type attitude of radical acceptance helps me realize these are just thoughts and feeling, not reality, and suffering about us suffering just doubles the trouble.
So I play this patiently like a game of rummy or skip-bo, just with the added challenge that the rules keep changing, so I don't get bored... And one of many things I enjoy is that for the first time in my life I can at last embrace self-care, and don't need to justify anything, after having done the opposite all my life. Now I'm the needy one, and hardly anyone can help me, I've found (esp. not doctors), except by interacting with me and helping me with my ideas how to manoeuvre and manage it all even better. So I haven't stopped helping people, just who I'm helping has, prioritizing #1 (well, trying at least).

@JayCS you are incredible!!! Your strength and resilience is so inspiring and your mindset unbelievable. You truly are a gift to us, thank you for paying it forward and helping us understand that it is OK to grief and recognizing seeing and feeling that loss. Then moving into what the new possibilities are and deciding to look for the good and celebrate that.

Hi all,

I am a 25 y/o woman (she/her/hers) diagnosed with fibro by a rheumatologist in mid October. I've been lurking for a while and am finally feeling ready to post.

After receiving this diagnosis, though I had been suspicious for the better half of a year, I was overwhelmed with so many emotions. There was some relief and validation, really just confirmation that my pain is a real thing that other people can understand. I also felt (and still do feel sometimes) hopeless. I feel like I'm too young to hear the word "chronic." I think I had it in my head that this was just a stressful time of my life, and once I got through it, the pain would go away. I'm still having a hard time accepting that I might feel this pain forever.

I think that's it for now. Eventually, I want to get to a place where I can make meaningful lifestyle changes, but I might have more emotional processing to do before I can bring myself there.

Thank you. <3
Greetings-----

I am the person who suggested that fighting with fibromyalgia/your own body is ill-advised.
Setting up an antagonistic relationship with your own self is always going to bring stress, anger, frustration, and dissatisfaction, and all of these things will inevitably only serve to increase all of your fibromyalgia symptoms and make you more miserable overall.

Your body is not betraying you. Not any more than if it had the 'flu, or you sprained an ankle. The fact that this is likely to be an on-going thing rather than temporary doesn't turn it into a betrayal of your body. Remember also, your body and your mind are not two separate things! One cannot betray the other because you are all one organism. It can feel like that, sure. But the reality is that is not what is happening, and the sooner you get your mind around that, the better.

Easier said than done. I know this all too well! But if you work on it, you will get there and your entire system will benefit from that change in perspective.

One thing I did that helped: I started trying to treat my body as if it were a beloved pet that didn't feel good. (For some people thinking of a child works better). I wouldn't be angry at my lovely dog if he were ill; I would comfort him and do everything I could to help him feel better. If he had trouble walking I would give him whatever supplements would help, make special food to make him feel nurtured, and tell him how much I loved him. I started treating my body the same way. Asking myself what I needed that day to feel a little better. Would watching a movie help to distract me? Would a nice meal be comforting? Would going to the forum and spending a few minutes on the "Moan, complain and vent" section just complaining about it help even maybe a little? What about gathering information? Information is power. And so on.

The other thing that I did and I strongly recommend is I decided to take whatever action I could. NOT to fight it, but to find out what kinds of things make it worse and eliminate those, and what makes it better and use those. I wrote a whole post about this and highly recommend you read it and start your own experimentation. Find that post here:

AND.....make use of this forum as much as you like. Ask questions, we will do our best to answer within our own knowledge and experience. Ask for support and you will get it. Know you are not alone, and fibromyalgia is not a death sentence. Nor does the diagnosis mean you are doomed to a lesser life or a horrible one. Many thousands of people have full lives without the use of legs, with chronic diseases, and with chronic pain and other problems. You can too. Not overnight, maybe. But in time. You can manage this and be healthy. We are here to help.

Thank you all so much for sharing your perspective and experiences! This all resonates so much. I feel a little more hopeful to at least have those who understand!

An ACT-type attitude of radical acceptance helps me realize these are just thoughts and feeling, not reality, and suffering about us suffering just doubles the trouble.
Funny you mention ACT. I am in graduate school for counseling psychology (hence the stress-related flare leading to diagnosis). ACT is one of my personal favorite theories to use in my clinical work. How powerful to recognize that having pain does not have to mean having suffering! I’m interested in learning more about how this technique works for chronic pain. Thanks for sharing your perspectives. :)

I don’t know if this will help at all, but first of all, 🥰 to you for all that you have been going through. Fibromyalgia, as with many “chronic” illnesses, can be quite overwhelming when first dealing with it. Like you, I too initially experienced anger towards my body (how dare it betray me this way?) and yet when I finally accepted that yes, I am facing this, I also decided to no longer fight. Instead, I’ve been taking on a mantra that I adopted many years ago….2001, to be exact…when I learned that I was facing oral cancer. I was not a typical candidate for this type of cancer, and it didn’t run in my family, but there I was. By the time it was actually diagnosed the doctors discovered that it had spread to my neck, so I wound up enduring 7 weeks of heavy radiation treatments, with a bit of chemo tossed in for fun (believe me when I say that treatment for head/neck cancer is not fun). When I started treatments I was at first quite angry, and held onto a typical ‘why me??’ attitude…but as the weeks progressed I discovered something. Being angry at my body (my ‘self’) was doing nothing but self harm. So I began to turn things around, and every day would silently repeat a mantra in my head…. “I love my throat”; “I love my mouth”; “I love my body”; etc., while placing my hands on that body part. I do believe that this went a long way towards letting go of the anger, and towards not only accepting and being able to endure what I was facing, but being able to appreciate everything that my body still could do. And that’s what I am now doing with fibromyalgia…for every pain and ache and limited movement that I currently have, I still love that, despite this, I can get up in the morning. I can still go out. I can still walk my dog (who is proving to be great therapy for me, since he insists on his walks and playtime). I can still enjoy life, despite the pain. And I can appreciate life more because of it.

Everyone has their own journey with this unwanted struggle in their lives. Some may have more difficult journeys than others; some, less. But I do believe that in all of the frustration and madness and pain, our bodies are talking to us. What we do with the message, and how we approach wellness and wellbeing, is up to ourselves.

Good for you, @Izzysmom .
One thing I always think (and, when appropriate, say) about the question "why me?" is: Why NOT you? (or me).
No one is so special that they get to have 100% immunity to the mountains and deep valleys of life,
and the universe doesn't run on a merit system.
Some people have easy lives and some don't, but you never know from the outside whether a person's life is easy or hard.
What happens, happens, and the main variable after that is how we are able to deal with it.

Note I say "how we are able". Because some people are naturally more able to handle certain kinds of things than others are, and this depends on thousands of factors including genetics, conditioning, upbringing, past experience, influences and so on, most of which none of us have had any control over in our lives.

So what any of us can do is the best we can do at any given moment. If you are not doing your best, there's always room and time for improvement. If you are doing your best, it's appropriate and important to give yourself full credit for that, no matter what the actual outcome is of your effort. We cannot control the outcome of anything. All we can do is try our best to do the best thing we know to do.

Everyone has their own journey with this unwanted struggle in their lives. Some may have more difficult journeys than others; some, less. But I do believe that in all of the frustration and madness and pain, our bodies are talking to us. What we do with the message, and how we approach wellness and wellbeing, is up to ourselves.
Well said, and very true. (y)

So what any of us can do is the best we can do at any given moment. If you are not doing your best, there's always room and time for improvement. If you are doing your best, it's appropriate and important to give yourself full credit for that, no matter what the actual outcome is of your effort.
Yep, fully agreed with all of this and @Izzysmom's post, just going into it a bit more:
Of course, as is implied, this is usually a mixture of doing our best and not doing so at the same time, so doing our best means also rest(ing) from that, very regularly switching between best and rest, rather than continually keeping at it. Giving ourselves credit for what we've tried can be part of that rest, celebrating it. As said, trying is in itself the achievement.
Illustrating sunkacola's image of caring for ourselves like for our pets, I'm feeding up our guinea pig with tooth problems right now, and he's doing his best, but not managing, and despairing, giving up, so I'm encouraging, praising, celebrating what he does manage, and trying to make the mouthfuls as small as possible and giving him mush: Going low and slow. And a lot of it is in his "mind" - losing appetite cos the effort is so big, and still wanting and lustfully trying the big chunks he used to and then giving up completely, so he needs guidance and support and credit and rest time and switching - such a cute lovable guy, still got most of his life and social verve.
I so relate cos my appetite is has been challenged for many reasons all this year. But I'm in a different position: I know all this, I know how to self-care and know I need to ask people around me for help and encouragement and credit, and let myself be helped (which he doesn't always, very human). Plus take the encouragement and credit given rather than getting into a dissatisfied and sometimes destructive "but it's not enough" mood.

Jessgert - Thank you for posting this and to everyone else for all the wonderful replies. I know exactly how your feeling as i too was diagnosed in October and feel my life has just fallen apart. I was a nurse for over 40 yrs, took early retirement and moved to France 2 yrs ago to start a new life.
I'm really struggling with my diagnosis, I've sort of accepted the pain, constant tiredness, lack of sleep etc. But I can't get past the guilt I'm feeling, even though i know i have nothing to feel guilty about !!
We bought a beaitiful house to renovate and had such wonderful plans doing it up together and then sitting back and enjoying retirement together. Now all it's left to my wonderful husband, I hate seeing him working so hard. If takes all my energy to just sweep a floor. We used to do so much together, but even a trip to the shops knaves me feeling exhausted
I want to start enjoying life again, but at this point of time, everything seems full.of gloom. I'm been prescribed Duloxetine and have been taking them a month, so not expecting much just yet and I have an appt at the pain clinic in April.
I will keep reading inspiring posts in the hope that I will turn a corner soon

Hi annie.
You might find some help in a post I wrote:

I hope that the duloxetine helps you. Let us know how that goes for you. Many people have had very bad experiences with that particular drug, myself included, so I hope your experience is different. If you start to have side effects from it, my recommendation is that you stop it right away because in most people's experience those effects don't improve with time. For me, it helped a lot at first, then stopped working at all, and when the doctor increased the dosage the side effects started and were unbearable. I truly hope it is different for you, and I hope you will let us know.

You can turn a corner, so to speak, with the physical pain depending on how you manage it and what you find, through your own experimentation, that will help you.
You can also change your perspective on it, and I have found, as have others, that this can prove to be even more important. This doesn't ever happen overnight, and is not easy and is not always even possible, so don't think I'm just telling you to have a good attitude and everything will be find. Not like that at all. . But how you view this situation, if you can find some acceptance of what is the reality each day rather than hating it or fighting it or feeling guilty about it, how you view your own body and what is going on for you, does have a huge impact on your experience. There's a lot written in this forum about that, and I hope that reading this and asking questions about it and writing to us about your experience will help you. that is why this forum exists, and it's for you, so I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back